I need to justify getting a Mac at work...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RaginBajin, Feb 7, 2008.

1. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

I want to get a Mac at work and they're a little hesitant. I've been asked to write up exactly why I need one here. The problem is I don't really *need* one, I just want one...

So far I have:

Native unix core
    Able to run Windows
    Better overall security
    Less downtime due to software issues (we have to wait for the help desk to come and install shit for us on PC's)
    Better command line tools
    Ability to compile source code if necessary
    Ability to schedule and run daemons for code testing

What else can I add to get these bastards to give me one?

2. mad_vtak

mad_vtak Active Member

Mac Pro correct

3. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

Look him in the eye "It just works"

4. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

was going to ask this...

5. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

"Gorgeous display"

SOLD

6. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

If they don't give you permissions to begin with, you're in a rough spot. It's unlikely your IT group will want to support a one off Mac regardless. Companies stick w/ PC's beyond their simple cost savings. If they don't trust you enough to give you admin rights on your box, then why would they give you a box they have no oversight over. There's more to security than anti-virus etc. If you boot it into Windows, you're going to have to install all the same security stuff any of the Dell's or Lenovo's would have plus the added expense of a Windows license. If your system went down, would support come in or would you be forced to rush off to a Genius Bar?

What kind of source code are you trying to compile? If it's UNIX stuff...your compiler has to be completely matched.

I've considered asking why we don't use Mac's given 90% of my work is done via Cygwin or in Eclipse for Solaris systems but our IT group would have a coronary. They're already deathly afraid of virtual OS's. Instead they bulk up our Dell's w/ 4GB and 7,200rpm hd's.

7. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

what is your job? at my company, my team uses Macs because we are the UNIX team. we convinced them that they were appropriate for us because previously had windows laptops and Sun workstations. we replaced both with Apple MacBook Pros with 4Gb of memory and VMWare Fusion (for the office apps we still need).

8. samm

samm Next in Line

work for a company that doesn't treat you like a criminal when it comes to your workstation. At the end of your day, you need the ability to perform your job effectively. If the solution to that task is a Mac, that should be justification enough for your management.

9. RaginBajin

I'm an administrator for something called webMethods. It's actually a windows based application, but I spend a lot of time on the back end machines where all this stuff runs. So I spend about 70% of my time inside of shell windows doing regular unix/linux admin type work and the other 30% in Windows dealing with the front end software.

One of our Unix admins already has a Mac, so I'm trying to use that angle as a jumping off point to get one. My boss is actually 100% behind it and his boss seems to be ok with the idea if I can actually justify why I need one. The problem is, I don't really *need* it, it would just make things a lot easier and me a lot happier.

10. fatass

fatass New Member

those reasons sound pretty lame. if you need justification and that's the best you can come up with... good luck. sounds like you are just pissing against the wind

11. RaginBajin

You + reading == not friends

I don't really *need* one so it's fairly hard to come up with legitimate justification. That's why I'm asking for some input.

12. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

one good selling point is that you have the stability and efficiency of a mac with the added ability to run windows as-necessary contained with its own sandbox (parallels) with a decreased risk of spyware and viruses.

this also hugely depends on your industry.

13. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Heh, strike better overall security from the list. What we'll soon be releasing should blow that all apart (as long as meetings with a fruit company in the next week go ok).

14. fatass

fatass New Member

no shit sherlock. if you really 'needed' one then you would get one

i just read all your reasons again and i gotta be honest, they really suck. you are going about this all wrong

15. RaginBajin

Then I vote you tell me how to do it "right". ;)

16. Boosh Dag

Boosh Dag Guest

tell them you will kill yourself if you dont get a mac and it will be the companies fault and your family will take every step to see that they receive adequate compensation for their loss. :dunno: