SRS I need to cut back or stop taking pills (anonymous post)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Darketernal, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Im in college right now and I starting messing with pills about a year ago. I love them (hydrocodone) aka lortabs. But I've been using them more lately and really want to cut back. I went from doing it twice a week to every other day. Surprisingly I haven't built up a seriously tollerance. I suffer from depression/axiety so I don't see myself stopping for good but I'd like to cut back alot. Is that possible to do? Any tips/ advice? I heard your doctor can put you on meds that help stop the craving. Alot of it is because i'm bored and it shuts my mind off.

2. ZSPTurbo

ZSPTurbo New Member

the only thing that will help is willpower. In your situation.

3. alwaysth

alwaysth New Member

suboxone..

4. mizugsy

mizugsy hi!

suboxone? for someone who is only taking hydrocodone a few times a week? seriously guy?

5. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

why do you want to cut back?

6. polishillusion

polishillusion New Member

Whats up? First off, welcome, and second off, please forgive my snippy mood today.

Here are the first few questions, I could ask more, but these seem important

Your doctor knows you are abusing your meds?

What do you take for your depression/anxiety? Are you taking "whatever" normally, regularly?

Suboxone is probably the answer for your questions, but I really would prefer to hear your argument against it.

I know this has been asked before, but why stop?

7. i killed tupac

If you dont understand why this is causing you problems, you will be hard pressed to find a reason to quit. Talk to us.

8. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Its a combination of life/worrying. I've been on a ton of anti axiety/ anti depressants. I can't shut my mind off. I worry about the future every single day.

9. i killed tupac

but aren't you taking pills that aren't prescribed to you? Lortabs are a painkiller, and opiate. So these are not what a doctor would prescribe for anxiety and depression, right? When you wacked out on something like that, your presribed meds might not even work.

Face it, you are getting high, and hooked on opiates. It's a seperate issue.

10. Eurostaunch

Eurostaunch New Member

You should try and get on methadone. I don't know how that works exactly but methadone is far better than suboxone because it is a euphoric opioid. However, it is probably just as physically/psychologically addictive as oxycodone.

Another option is to try to find other ways to deal with boredom/anxiety/depression that do not involve drugs. Excersize and socializing are the healthiest and they will work to a degree.

11. controvert

controvert OT Supporter

I've been in your shoes and can tell you that quitting was one of the best things I've ever done. I made up my mind one day to stop, and stopped.

I was taking around 20 a day for a couple years :hs:

12. ZSPTurbo

ZSPTurbo New Member

Watch out. I used to be like that, and to overcome it, it got to the point where I was just like "fuck it, nothing really matters, if I just get my degree and live a decent life, I'll be fine". But what wound up happening was that I backslid a lot. I started smoking more pot, stopped socializing, my apartment got dirty and messy, I started to get fat, I racked up a decent credit card bill, and just generally fucked up.... The only good thing that came out of it was a semester of straight A's lol.

13. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

ZSPTurbo, I think you were on the right track, but it sounds like you didn't get to the point where you recognized the reasons why people do things like work hard, keep the house clean, etc. You don't need to live forever or believe that God will punish you in order to do these things, because the real-world benefits are apparent as soon as you do them -- satisfaction of a job well done, not getting sick with salmonella, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2009
  14. Rainbow

Rainbow New Member

suboxone is very good to ease withdrawal...

But withdrawing from hydro is not a quarter as bad as withdrawing from methadone.

15. fourty03

fourty03 The quick brown fox couldn't jump over your mother

I agree.

I was prescribe oxycontin and percocets when I was shot in the hip.
    My doctor released me to go back to work after 3 months. It only took a couple weeks to be addicted...

I thought it would be a better idea to detox using methadone. The methadone was by far the hardest to come off from.

I would rather come off from the hydro and the oxy's rather than start
    the methadone and use that to detox.

Will power is what really decides if you are going to be successful or not in the long term.