SRS I need to change

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Wolvish, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Wolvish

Wolvish New Member

:hs:

I need to stop drifting through school.

The problem isn't working hard at it, it's just staying motivated. Right now, I know I need to show up every day and do the work, and get a grade worth being proud of. Tomorrow morning I'm not gonna want to go to school.

Anyone have any advice on staying motivated? I have a problem with attendance at school, I've had it for years, I just never feel like going when I wake up in the morning, and it's going to fuck a lot of things up if I don't change soon.

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

My advice, study what you are passionate about.

I'm getting very good grades at the University level and I'm studying a subject that I really am passionate about. I actually spend my free time (when there's no assignments due and I'm not getting paid to do it) doing what I love....working on and with computers. It's my passion and I love it....I want to know everything about them.

However, even I struggle with motivation problems. A degree is difficult because you have to take many classes that simply don't interest you like other classes. I mean I couldn't care less about Biology but here I was taking a lecture and lab course in Bio. Do that enough times and it wears you down.

Sometimes I really have to force myself to go but I found, if I sit close to the front of the class and ask questions, it helps me stay interested in the lectures. I try not to ask silly, trivial questions but try to really be focused about them. I find that when I'm into the lecture and involved, that I really enjoy the classes more and then I WANT to go. I never thought I'd want to go to class but I actually don't like to ditch anymore.

However, it's 2:30am and I'm ditching tomorrow. :) Hey, I'm not perfect but I try to keep my ditching to a few times each semester.

3. AmCo

AmCo Haters goin' Hate

if there's a will, there's a way.

4. moonie

moonie u want a FRANKYUM?

before you go to class, make urself a large cup of coffee. sounds dumb i know but it actually works. another thing is, don't ever eat a fullfilling meal before class, it will only make you lazier and sleepier. it's probably not the healthiest way to go about it but somehow it keeps you more enthusiastic about going.

and if you're not a morning person.. consider choosing class at a later time. i personally love night classes because i can focus better at night. i work during the day so i guess i don't really have a choice anyway.

the weird thing is, i found myself more motivated in school when i have a daily routine job on the side. i think it's probably because jobs tend to become very boring and uninspiring after a while, and at school you are more likely to meet/interact/see all different kinds of people without a business based front on people's faces.

5. Wolvish

Wolvish New Member

i drink more coffee in a day than anyone I know. Right now I'm on my second can of monster, and I have two more for the day.

I'm not a morning person at all, I'm always at my most alert and awake after sundown. Sadly I can't choose classes at a later time. Still in high school. :hsd:

6. moonie

moonie u want a FRANKYUM?

aww no wonder u r unmotivated! now i see why. yeah, high school didn't sit well with me back in the days either. it was almost like i went to school to catch up on sleeping.

i guess having parents or some sorta authority at home or around really left me with no choice but to focus on school.. and i didn't own a car until my senior year in hs so i didn't really have a choice but to stay in school anyway. try to find a discplinary for yourself first by setting up short term goals (ie. not missing a class for a week) and rewarding yourself upon reaching. or have someone you care about holds on to your money, if you fail to attend all classes for a week, the money will not be returned to you. maybe you will feel the obligations to be in school then. i hope things work out!

7. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Hang in there ,even tho its hard. Eventually a diploma is your ticket to earn money, school is just a formality. So just keep saying to yourself im doing it for the money, besides school is only a small portion of your life, and say to yourself that your doing it for your own future so basically all your effort that you make is an investment in yourself.

Just try to make all the homework in the afternoon when your most awake.

8. Wolvish

Wolvish New Member

I'm most awake between midnight and 4am :hsd:

9. Wolvish

Wolvish New Member

Anywho, it seems all is well. I don't have to do it alone. :hsd:

10. onedownfiveup

onedownfiveup Active Member

I had the same problem as you did. Although I did go to class, mainly because my parents are very strict and if they found out I was skipping, I would have had hell to pay.

If I had to do High School all over again, I would have been on top of every class as hard as I could. I'm now 23, almost 24 in 2 months. I graduated High School, took some College courses at the local community college and my attendence and apathy for school work grew even worse because it was easier to get away with. At first I figured I just needed a break from all that and just work and make myself happy. But now that I'm at the age to where all my same aged friends are all out of college, some going to grad school and I'm sitting here with no degree and most of them are making a lot more than I am.

11. Cherry Red

Cherry Red OT Supporter

I am the exact same way with getting up for school.
    I do all my work at home and rather not go to school unless its to hand something is or to get more work.