I need to buy a laptop...Narrowed it down to a few choices...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by lordcoca, Jul 31, 2004.

1. lordcoca

lordcoca Wading in the Velvet Sea

I'm looking for a laptop to take to college, I don't do anything too intensive, mostly word processing, browsing the internet etc. The only thing I'm really looking for is a light laptop.

Anyways, here are the laptops I'm thinking of:

[​IMG]
    HP NC4000
    Pentium-M 1.6 ghz
    1024 mb RAM
    External DVD/CDRW
    XP Pro
    802.11a/b/g
    40 gb hard drive
    3.5 lbs
    1 inch thick
    3 Year HP warranty

I like this laptop because it's really light, and compact, and because it has some nice specs. The thing is, it's $1200, and I'm not sure if I want to take something that expensive with me to college - or spend that much. But I guess if I got it, this one would last me a long time. Most light laptops are around this price range, but this one seems to have much better specs.

[​IMG]
    Averatec 3225H
    AMD Mobile Athlon™ XP-M Processor 2000+
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    512MB PC-2700 DDR SDRAM
    40GB 4,200RPM UltraDMA ATA/133 Hard Drive
    Combo 8x DVD-ROM / 24x10x24 CD-RW Drive
    12.1" XGA Active Matrix Display
    4.3 lbs
    1 inch thick

Another good laptop, it has some very nice reviews. It can be had for $700, which is a nice price if you ask me. My only concern is the keyboard:
    [​IMG]
    I do a lot of word processing, and when I was typing on this at Micro Center it was kind of difficult to hit the punctuation keys. This is the only thing that has me hesitating to buy this one.

Finally, I've been considering getting an ibook, but these are also pretty expensive and I have almost no experience using any mac since I was in elementary school :hs:

Anyways, I dunno what to get. The HP has a lot of nice features and would last me a long time. But it's price tag is considerably more expensive than the Averatec which also offers more features than I'll likely ever use. But the keyboard turns me off to it. The HP would be simple to type with, the keyboard is excellent, and it even has that little eraser mouse that I like :hs:

And and all advice is appreciated :)

2. lordcoca

Also, if I lost the Averatec, it wouldn't hurt too bad since it was fairly inexpensive - but if I lost the HP it would really hurt my wallet :hs:

3. lordcoca

I'm also open to suggestions for laptops under or around $1000 that are light and portable :hs:

4. schmack

schmack Professional Lurker OT Supporter

Damn, the HP seems like one hell of a laptop for that price. I have had the HP Pavillion zt1180 laptop for almost 3 years and love it. It's starting to show it's age and I'm starting to think of upgrading.

Pentium 1.2 ghz
    512 megs of ram
    40 gig hd
    14.1 inch screen
    no onboard wifi, I added a lucent PCMCIA card

Paid $1900 for it new :o

5. brewski

brewski OT Supporter

GET THE AVERATEC. you said you do a lot of word processing, and if that's ALL you do, DEFINITELY get the averatec. the processor if better then that intel crap, and you won't notice the difference between 512 megs of ram and a gig of ram, which, you don't even NEARLY need that much for word processing anyway. glad to help.

6. lordcoca

I'd be happy with something like that :dunno: But I don't have very rigorous demands :hs: Only something light and cheap :)

But yeah, I think I found a good deal on it and that's one of the things that makes me want to get it :hs: It's just I dunno if I want to spend $1200 on a fancy laptop that'll just be used for word processing and browsing the internet - even if it would last me a long time...and is really, really portable...

7. lordcoca

It would be a no brainer for me to go for the Averatec, but my concern is that keyboard...it's a bit difficult to type with :hs:

But should I just go for it anyways and hope I get used to using it?

8. lordcoca

There aren't many really portable laptops that aren't really pricey :sad2:

9. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

12" iBook for $1099...

http://www.apple.com/ibook/specs.html

MS Office 2004 is out for OS X. If you're a student, you can get a discount (~$150 off) on the iBook here...

http://store.apple.com/1-800-780-5009/WebObjects/EducationIndividual?type=higherEd

Honestly, between the two PC laptops you listed, I'd definitely go for the HP. The Averatec scares me.

As far as not being sure about an iBook because you have used a mac forever, don't worry about that. The Mac OS has totally changed fromthe one you knew and it's pretty idiot proof for beginners and incredily stable now (I don't remember the last time my machine locked up since upgrading to OS X).

Last edited: Aug 1, 2004
  10. brewski

brewski OT Supporter

i see, ok well, the averatec will have better performance, but you should definitely go with what feels the best. that way you won't get tired of using it

11. lordcoca

I've added this to my list of choices:

[​IMG]
    Dell Inspiron 1000
    Mobile Celeron Processor 2.20 ghz
    256mb RAM
    30gb HD
    XP Home
    DVD/CDRW Combo
    802.11 b/g
    14.1in Monitor
    6.37 lbs

It'll run me $727 :hs: Not quite as good as either of those, but the keyboard would be a lot easier to type with compared to the Averatec. But the specs are on a much lower level it seems like :hs: And it is a little bit heavier than I'd like :sad2: I'd like something under 5 lbs, but I suppose I've got a small budget and can't ask for too much :)

Supposedly, it's not too rugged, and probably wouldn't take much punishment - I'll probably be careful enough with it, but there's always a chance I may drop it or something :hs:

Anyways, what does OT think?

12. WannaZO6

WannaZO6 There are 10 types of people in the world, the one

i vote for the dell, ive never had any problems with mine and its taken a beating. you may want to get 512 ram though. other than that it looks like a nice laptop.

13. PBizme

PBizme I Got Nothing

i would think you'd probably get used to the keyboard after a while. i went to china a few years ago and used a laptop all month after always using a desktop and it was weird for a while and then i got used to it. i don't know if that keyboard is way different than any other laptop though

14. lordcoca

Out of curiousity, will I actually carry my laptop around in college? Cause if I'm not going to, there's no real point in me getting a light laptop.

15. schmack

schmack Professional Lurker OT Supporter

4 years ago when I was in college, it was rare to see someone carrying a laptop or a pda. I carried mine, but I was also a CIS major. It saved me a lot of hassle not waiting for computer labs to free up a spot. I have two buddies still in college and they say it's still rare to see anybody carrying a laptop or pda.

Of course, I do know a guy at Georgetown that IM's me from class everyday :bigthumb:

16. SQLee

SQLee The OTer That Cares™

I say go for an iBook, seriously. I have some friends who have Macs, and I'm jealous. These things are the most stable machines I've ever seen. And their wireless cards on the notebooks pick up anything and everything, it's great.

And about weight, if a laptop is too heavy for you, go to the gym. :o

17. lordcoca

Say I got an ibook, and I wrote a paper on it and needed to transfer it to a PC - how difficult would that be? Could I say, transfer it to a usb flash drive or a portable hard drive and just swap them like that? Or could I just transfer them via e-mail or the internet?

I know MS Office is available for Macs, but will things I write with either of them work on the other?

If it's simple, I just may spring for the ibook. I've decided against spending $1200 on the HP cause I don't want to have to worry about it. And I've decided against the Averatec because of it's keyboard.

How rugged are ibooks? Will they survive if I drop them? Just curious, I'm not gonna go tossing it around carelessly :hs:

18. lordcoca

Hm...maybe I should ask that in the Mac Shack :o

19. SQLee

SQLee The OTer That Cares™

Honestly can't answer those questions, sorry man :o

20. lordcoca

Don't worry about, I took my questions to the OT Mac Shack :bigthumb:

21. SFLegend

SFLegend .

I know you said you're trying to get a cheap laptop, but at least get a Kensington Security Cable for it. It's expensive on Kensington's website, but I was able to find it for a bargain price on eBay. Any decent laptop should have a slot for the Kensington cable.

22. lordcoca

Thanks, I'll look into it. I was actually looking for something like this, thanks for making my search that much easier :bigthumb: