I need to block a program from internet access

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Saluki, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Saluki

Saluki New Member

I need to block a specific program from access the internet that's on my roommate's PC. He doesn't understand that there are people in the house that need to use the internet and with him downloading and seeding things ALLLLLL day long it crushes my (and my brother's) internet speed to something less than dial-up. Our internet isn't exactly the fasted anyways because it's poor college town and there's a lot of other people in a very small area using the cable internet.

So I'm the admin for the lil' home network thing we have set up...I've got a Linksys WRT54G Router. I was using that web based firewall set-up and I've got the manual but I can't figure out how to block utorrent from using the accessing the internet.

I hope I gave enough info for someone to help me along...if you need more info about the setup let me know...Thanks!

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

you need to know which port uTorrent is sending traffic through, then block that.

3. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

go put ddwrt on it and you can do some great things like cap his bandwidth, cut it down for certain hours of the day, give web priority over torrent... etc

4. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

a better way would be to tell your roommate that if he doesn't knock it off, he's going to lose internet privs entirely... or smash his fucking computer. no need to be so technical about it.

5. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

You realize that if he flags the RIAA bad guys it is gonna be the person on the bill that they come after....

Consider turning off his port or changing the wireless password.
    I wouldn't allow anyone to do any sort of sustained P2P on my network. Too dangerous these days.

6. Vysion

Vysion New Member

Just have him limit his upload speed to 1/4th of your upload bandwidth.

Most torrent clients come with no cap on upload speed. When you max out your upload speed like that you drag both upload and download to slow speeds.

This way he can still download (you can even make him cap his download if you want) torrents and then you and your brother don't have to put up with him clogging the bandwidth with the uncapped uploading.

7. Saluki

Saluki New Member

I'm gonna try this DDWRT thing here in a few mins.

Yeah he's connected through an ethernet cable like all our desktops because it's really easy the way the bedrooms are...but lately I've just been unplugging the cable going to the splitter thing so I can work on my school stuff. He's about to find out that I can be a real asshole and if this doesn't help he's going to find that he'll never have internet access here ever again.

I've tried talking to him and he's the type that will be like "yeah ok..." and turn it off...but the next day it's back on and dragging everything down. The only way to fix it is for me to cap him or block the program entirely...either way he can't have any control of it.

Thanks for the replies...I'll post back later about how this DDWRT thing works out for me.

8. Saluki

Saluki New Member

Went to the site to download the DDWRT firmware and it turns out my router is a WRT54GS not a WRT54G and they don't have anything for my version (7.2).

I was looking around to see what ports utorrent uses and what I found was that it uses 1 port (that you can pick) for downloading and unfortunately random ports for uploading...so I'm gonna have some trouble there.

9. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

It's a good bet he used the default port in utorrent. When you setup the port you can change it to whatever you want but it starts out as a 'defualt' in there. Many people use it (or at least I always have). Try blocking that port.

10. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

disconnect his cable.

11. deusexaethera

Is there any chance you could just ask him to stop seeding? He can steal all the shit he wants, but he could at least not make the problem worse.

12. Saluki

Saluki New Member

I've asked repeatedly...he'll turn it off for a little while, then turn it back on later and leave it on. Worst part is he doesn't know where he saves the stuff on his computer so he keeps ALL the torrents going so he's probably seeding 100+ things.

I do disconnect his cable when I've got something important to do but I do know that he's got to be able to access Blackboard for class and I don't want to fuck up his schoolin'...I'm not that big of an ass.

Does anyone know off-hand what the default port utorrent uses is? I know the uploads are random but if I can block the downloads he'll get pissed and stop using it.

13. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

IIRC the deafult utorrent port is 32459.

To get decent speeds in utorrent or any torrent app, you would have had to forward the port to his internal IP. Has that been done? If so, take it off and block the port.

14. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

QoS will fix your problem and still allow him to use bittorrent

15. Vito_Corleone

Vito_Corleone New Member

Just tell him to knock it the fuck off and set his client up right. I seed shit 24/7 and I have no problems.

16. deusexaethera

Exactly. But it's not about whether the seeder has problems.

17. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

yeah, tell him to cap his upload and download speeds to something that doesn't fuck everyone else over. or, get on his PC and set it for him.

i don't think there is a default port for uTorrent. i think it grabs a random port number on first install.

18. deusexaethera

Yeah, hence the reason why good firewalls block all traffic on all ports unless the traffic is explicitly permitted.

19. Corp

Corp OT Supporter

:werd: just set up the scheduler for him

20. Vito_Corleone

Vito_Corleone New Member

:hsugh:

I, meaning me and my entire network.

21. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

actually, that's the whole thing. if he has his utorrent setup to not throttle uploads or downloads at all, then it'll use all available bandwidth. if you set it up properly, you can set it so that it doesn't interfere with other traffic.