SRS I need to be able to concentrate more.. how?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by crunchy_black, May 31, 2009.

1. crunchy_black

crunchy_black OT Supporter

This problem is more to do with work, but it conincides with some of my personal life as well.

I have a meeting at work, discussing issues we are coming across. My mind wanders.. i snap out of my day dream and i have no idea what this person just said. 0 - Then i think, 'shit, what's he saying i gotta concentrate' Then all the words are going into my head but i'm not actually taking in what his saying.. it's like when i read.. i'll read a paragraph and realize... ok i just read that but i didn't take any of it in, i have to re read it.

I normally get 7-8 hours sleep a night.. that should be adequate?
    What else effects concentration? Diet?

This is stopping me from progressing further at work.

I'm wondering if this is just who I am and this is how my mind works so live with it?

I'm not a enthusiastic or highly motivated person. lol, even once when i thought i was being more enthusiastic than my normal self I got some feedback that i wasn't. =/

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Hit yourself every time your mind wanders. Doesn't have to be hard, it just has to sting a little. Flick your forearm or something. The mind has an astounding ability to associate discomfort with bad behavior.

As far as the feedback is concerned, it doesn't count unless you regularly get feedback of that sort. I have a friend who's manic enough that she makes cheerleaders look depressing, but that doesn't mean cheerleaders are depressing.

3. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

How long has this been going on?

4. Abomb

Abomb New Member

could be low testosterone its linked to clarity of mind and concentration etc

5. OhHai

OhHai New Member

Holy shit I feel the same fucking way. I have to tell myself to concentrate really hard so I know what the person is saying, but when they are done I do not feel like I have a strong idea about what the hell they just said. I've wondered if it's just ADD. Either way, in for answers :hs:

6. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Could be that you're just bored and not being challenged.

It could be that what you really want is to just sit around and take it easy, like we do at nights or weekends or when hanging with friends. Nothing wrong with that other than to realize that there aren't many jobs for that kind of work.

You might be overwhelmed by the work and just don't see any way to complete it all.

You might be hopelessly lost and instead of trying to understand what's going on...you just tune out.

There are all kinds of reasons. I find when I'm day dreaming, I'm usually miffed that I have to be in this meeting and I'd rather be elsewhere. Very often it's due to the person talking....they're boring....the project is boring....I'm boring.....I'm bored....I want to fuck her....damn I wonder what her pussy looks/tastes like.....I wonder how much money is in my checking account because I want to buy some new shit this weekend....fuck did I forget to turn off the coffee pot......man I gotta take a shit and it's starting to hurt.

Sometimes it's just hard to concentrate with all that going on.