A&P I need the "OT" (tm) Opinion: Sigma 18-50 ex/ 24-70ex

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Milin, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

both lenses are EX f2.8

the 18-50 is one of the digital only lenses.

I have a 300D right now and really want a battery grip for it.
    my current lenses are
    kit lens, 50mm 1.8, sigma 24-300 (eh...its alright and has mad range yo)

I want to know if anyone on here has either of these lenses im on a budget right now but I want a good clear lens and I do a lot of evening photogrpahy so the 2.8 is a big plus for me.

I want to spend 500 or so. I also looked at the 17-40 f4L but the f4 is what really kills me about it :(
    otherwise it's so beautiful.

2. mojito

mojito New Member

3. sony

sony Active Member

I had a 18-50mm and it was a great lens. Never used the 24-70EX.

edit: I was being a little vague. I used the 18-50 for about 3 weeks and then sold it. The reason I sold it had nothing to do with the quality of the lens or the pictures that I got out of it. I didn't measurebate the lens (comparing it to another lens at similar focal lengths/apatures), instead, like with all my lenses, I used it in real world shooting scenerios and then looked at the images that came out of it.

The lens is pretty well built. It isn't a L, so there is no weather sealing, but if you've ever held a Sigma EX lens, you'll know that they feel pretty solid (Even for a DC - digital only) The lens focused decently on my 20D. I was using it in a dark garage area and there wasn't that much hunting and I was using a Rebel at this event, not my 20D (long story).

After looking at the samples, I was pretty impressed. I tried to take a couple pictures wide open between all the ranges. The range of the lens, for one thing, is very nice. Between 18 to 50, you get a pretty dramatic perspective change. It allows you (the close focusing distance) to be close to an area and take pictures, but at the same time get relatively tight crops.

I used 18mm a couple times, but after looking through my samples, I noticed that most of the pictures i took were zoomed past 28mm and many were at 50mm and not that tight of a crop.

I decided to keep my Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 instead.

another thing to note: You have to use thin filters with the 18-50 or you'll vignette, and even without a filter it still vignettes a little bit wide open, but it goes away at like f/3.2 .. not a small price to pay for such a sharp lens (wide open and stopped down)

As for the 24-70, I'd probably get a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, but I've never used the Sigma so I can't say much. The 24-70mm MACRO looks interesting, not sure if it is out yet, but what do I know. :o

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  4. TheEvil1

TheEvil1 Hell is other people OT Supporter

i have the sigma 24-70 f/2.8 and its a grat lens, sharp and contrasty, only downside is that is freeking huge, and heavy, as well as the 82mm filters it takes,

however all thoes issues aside its the lens i almost permently use on my film camera

i dont use it much on digital because i have lenses that cover that range that are smaller and lighter

5. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I agree. It is large and adjusting the zoom isn't as easy as the Tamron lenses we have.

6. ElDude

ElDude Hiya!

The battery grip mention just reminded me of something. Why is it that the price of the 300D battery grip has dropped in price so much in the last few weeks? I got mine for a slightly over the top price of £109 so I could save on delivery as I got the 300D kit from the same place, a month ago. In the last week, I've seen the damn thing for £74 on T4cameras.co.uk and also on another US site for $84.

Why the (rather large) price drop?

/mumbles curse words

7. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

you should really try ordering it from the US :) you could have a battery grip for 40 pounds. try buying a 20d from here or paypaling someone you could trust the money to get it and send it over to yaz.

My friend living in London gets all his clothes etc from here because its $2 to every Pound STerling (I dont have the little symbol on thjis keyboard..odd)

I just got back from the UK! :wavey:

8. ElDude

ElDude Hiya!

Bah! :big grin:

Trouble is, the only person I knew in the US was in New York (2nd cousin) and she's died from cancer :( I've got a hell of a lot of relatives over there, but non of them know this branch of the family :|