I need the most badass PCI video card ever.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Apr 16, 2007.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

So my office is setting up a web server to serve out digital maps, and the software that will be rendering the maps actually uses the video card's processing power to generate flat bitmaps from multi-layer vector drawings faster than the CPU could. Problem is, the server only has 32-bit and 64-bit PCI slots -- no AGP or PCI-Express. So I need to find the most badass PCI video card I can get my hands on -- 64-bit PCI-X is preferred because of its higher throughput, but I'll take 32-bit PCI if that's all Ican get.

Ideas? Recommendations? (Buying a new server is not an option.)

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you don't need a new server... just a new motherboard -- one that has PCI-E16 :mamoru:

Seriously, tho. You're not likely to find more than an nVidia 5200 in PCI.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

4. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

what about an old quadro?

5. deusexaethera

What about Matrox cards? Does anyone have any experience with any good Matrox PCI cards that could do the job? I'm looking for something one might find in an old workstation in a Pixar office.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Honestly, I've only used some of the oddball Matrox cards. Such as the tri-head cards. But I guess they do have a perverse obsession for the deprecated PCI bus. Perhaps they could work.

However, determining the "best" card is going to depend on what the app is doing. For example, the Quadra cards are worthless if the app doesn't take advantage of their extended instruction set. So what's the app expecting? Give it that.

7. deusexaethera

Unfortunately, ESRI is not terribly specific about what exactly their ArcIMS software does when you configure it to lean on the GPU for rendering.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I'd say give them a call and ask. Maybe ask some probing generic questions. For example, "would your product benefit more from the extended instruction set of a older nvidia quadra card, or the faster clock and more memory of a current-gen consumer-grade card?"

Perhaps they'll help you out? They must have a tested/supported gpu list ????

Ask them what cards THEY use?

At this point it's no different than a new game... And games always favor one card over the others -- not neccessarily because the card is best all-around, but simply because the software takes advantage of some instruction set or task that is best performed by that card.

9. deusexaethera

(sigh) I do so love sitting on hold. ESRI makes Microsoft tech support look responsive.

Did I mention their software costs $5000-$25000 per license?

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

email is a wonderful thing.

but it's 10:07pm pst.... so they prolly don't have many people there.