I need specific advice on 3 areas on my car that need work

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Bolicious, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

I picked up this car a month ago preowned. There are three things that bugging me as I don't know the best place to start.

1) Even though the car showed a clean carfax, during the claybar process, I found that body work had been done to the driver's side, front fender. It looks like a garage repair because they blended both the new paint and the clear on the fender. I can feel where the new clear blends as it goes from gloss to light orange peel to gloss. The front bumper received the same treatment, but it looks like a couple specs of dust settled while drying and I can feel them protruding from the clear in 3 or 4 small spots.

What's the best way to get these two areas corrected? For the front fender, do I just wet sand the orange peel area or then entire fender? If so, what grit(s) would you recommend? Same question applies with the front bumper where the dust flecks are. What should I use after that to bring it to a full shine. Naming specific products would really help.

I tried to get a shot of the fender peel but the car is silver, and well that didn't work out so well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2) The carpets could use a shampoo. I just got one this weekend and am aching to try it out. The logo on one mat is really bad, almost brown. Would you recommend that I go at it with something to really brighten it up prior to shampooing? I thought of bleach, and then instantly had visions of it bleeding into the carpet or just generally fucking something up.

[​IMG]

3) There are these smudges on the drivers side A pillar. I have no idea what to do to get these out either.

[​IMG]

TIA for any help. :bigthumb:

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

You would probably have to wetsand to make the blending look better and definitely to remove the orange peel.

Woolite/water mix should make that logo look better, ought to work on the A pillar smudges too.

3. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:werd: My thoughts exactly. You may want to hit the paint with 2000-2500 grit paper wet and buff it out. Might even have to go to 1500 if the 2000 doesn't cut it. Worst case, you'd have to get the whole panel re-cleared.

The Woolite/water will do you well on the interior... it's all I ever use on leather/vinyl/non-clear plastic. The logo on the mat might respond to some oxi-clean as well... just make it into a "paste" and scrub it into the logo with a fingernail brush or toothbrush, then rinse it out completely.

4. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

You guys are awesome. :bigok:

What should I follow the sanding on the bumper with product wise?

5. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

I just use the stain remover products at auto zone for car interiors. Works great. Just need to get a nice brush to scrub with as the one on the can sucks. As for the interior smudge I've found that the Magic Eraser works the best on those kind of things.

6. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Probably this should have been asked sooner, but do you have a PC/UDM, Flex, or Rotary polisher? Or are you working by hand?

Once you've wet sanded I'd go straight to Meguiar's 105, and follow that with 205. Then, optionally, 3M Ultrafina if you want to invest in it (Ultrafina is NOT cheap stuff). Doing this with a PC or rotary will be FAR easier than doing it by hand.

7. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

I don't have any sort of polisher. I am willing to invest in one but since I'm a newb, I was hesitant to get something that would allow me to do more harm than good. I was thinking of getting a Meguiar’s G110. :dunno:

Thanks for the specifics on product. That's a big help!

8. quamen

quamen New Member

i wouldnt do that yourself, if you cant polish i would bring the car to a professional. You can easily wet sand through the clear and then have to get the car repainted. also the only way your going to get those sand marks out, is by a aggressive compound/pad with a rotary buffer which takes skill. the little bumps you feel is dirt from the paint booth where they sprayed the car in. Typically most body shops will wet the floor and what not, to keep the particles from flying in the air hitting the fresh paint, the cleaner the booth the less dirt in the paint. I really wouldn't suggest trying to fix it yourself, with you experience. wet-sanding is probably the hardest thing a detailer does, since your nibbling at the mils of paint, and then have to bring something so cloudy/dull to a fine shine.

9. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

carfax doesnt mean anytihng. my moms car came out clean, BUT the entire passenger side was hit. it even has a new rear quarter panel. and the paint is modeled all the way to the front bum,per

10. Scottwax

Just don't use them too often in the same area since it is abrasive.

11. Scottwax

I'd also look at the Porter Cable 7424x, which is more powerful than the G110 and I think a little cheaper. A good DA polisher is a worthwhile investment. Mike Phillips (formerly of Meguiars) did a GREAT write-up on polishing by hand vs machine.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/autogeek-net/122647-man-versus-machine.html

12. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

I just looked at the 7424x. Not a bad price at all. I may have to pick one up.

13. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

If the woolite mix doesn't clean up that logo, hit it with an APC. If that doesn't do it, then the last resort would be a degreaser. It may very well be oil on the logo, and a degreaser will take it right out. Castrol Super Clean or Purple Power should do the trick. Use sparingly, you don't need much to get it clean.

14. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

APC=All Purpose Cleaner?

15. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Yes

16. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Thanks :h5: I always feel like an idiot asking these questions. :rofl:

Going to put all these interior suggestions to the test this weekend.