MIL I need some serious feedback here - v.Army NatGuard

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Maffy29, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

So this was just disseminated tonight from our new 1SG (although it has the commander's signature). It is the new company APFT SOP. My concerns lie in items 2, 3 and 5.

So lets start with item 2. I took and passed a record APFT this past August. I have never been good with PT. Usually passing with slightly over the minimums. I can run and do whatever else, but it beats me up mentally. I have failed in the past and its because my mind got the best of me. My unit says that a record APFT must be taken once a FISCAL year (October - September). Therefore, my APFT from late August is no longer valid. According to item 2, it is. I know the PT requirement for the National Guard is once a year, is there something in the regs that states that its once a fiscal year? Any mention of the fiscal year in there at all? I'm not even sure where to find that information or I would have looked myself.

Item 3 applies to me specifically. I work as a production associate in a factory. At the end of September, I was involved in a minor accident at the plant and am still in the system for Worksmens Compensation. I was off for a period and now am still being seen by the Workers Comp doctor. I am still on light duty at work and am still being kept from running and heavy physical activity by my doctor. The 45 day mark as implemented by my company is coming up soon for me. Can the company implement a deadline like this? I have never seen anything like that, even when I was on active duty.

Item 5 applies to a good friend of mine. My friend, who we will call Jeff, hasn't passed an APFT in over a year. He can do the push ups and sit ups, but is a terrible runner. Otherwise, he is an invaluable asset to the company for his knowledge of communications systems and equipment. He has taught other companies from our battalion and received high praise for his instruction and professionalism. Another soldier, who we will call Kelly, had failed record APFTs for 4 years before being demoted to PFC over the summer. There has been talk of Jeff being demoted within the next month or two. Does Jeff have a potential IG case?

I understand that any information or suggestions here should be taken at face value. I'd just like some direction as to where I could go if a situation should arise. I have a pdf copy of AR 600-8-2 and can email it if anybody needs it.

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

TurboManiacal should be able to give you some IG-type advice. Good luck.

3. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Not exactly the kind response I'm looking for, but good advice nonetheless.

4. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

You're going to make me work today. :sad2: I just got a cavity filled and I'm digging out the savings pocket book to renew my offer of $2000 to let me kick a dentist in the nuts.

5. MrRyan

Here it is: Items 1 & 5 are non-starters. I'll you through them after lunch and will probably get a few more people involved for #3. #3 is a little tougher and I'll have to dig into the regs and see what they say about NG vs. Active.

6. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Sounds good. Looking forward to it.

7. MrRyan

2. All Soldiers are required to take and pass a record APFT once a year. The record APFT for the company was conducted on 20 OCT 06. All Soldiers that are medically fit and not attending DMOSQ will complete a record APFT NLT 28 JAN 07. Soldiers that do not complete a record APFT will be considered for a flag and favorable personnel actions will be suspended IAW AR 600-8-2.

AR 350-1, 1-24e:
    (2) Commanders may administer the APFT as often as they wish; however, they must specify beforehand when the results are for record. The AA and Active Guard/Reserve (AGR) Soldiers and USAR Troop Program Units (TPUs) will take the APFT at least twice each calendar year. A minimum of 4 months will separate record tests if only 2 record tests are given. The intent is for the AA and the AGR Soldiers to take a record APFT every 6 months. Mission requirements often prevent the even spacing of record tests. Therefore, commanders are encouraged to test Soldiers for record as close to the record test window as possible.
    (3) Soldiers in ARNG/ARNGUS TPUs will take the APFT at least once each calendar year. A minimum of 8 months will separate record tests if only 1 test is given.

3. Civilian Doctor Excuses that prohibit Soldiers from participating in the APFT will be accepted. Any excuses prohibiting participation in the APFT for a period longer than 45 days or multiple excuses will result in the Soldier being considered for a Military Medical Review Board (MMRB).

AR 40-501, 7-4b:
    (2) Temporary profiles should specify an expiration date. If no date is specified, the profile will automatically expire
    at the end of 30 days from issuance of the profile. In no case will Soldiers carry a temporary profile that has been
    extended for more than 12 months. If a profile is needed beyond the 12 months the temporary profile should
    changed to a permanent profile.

FM 21-20 States: Temporary Profiles
    A soldier with a temporary profile must take the regular three-event APFT after the profile has expired. (Soldiers with temporary profiles of more than three months may take an alternate test as determined by the commander with input from health-care personnel.) Once the profile is lifted, the soldier must be given twice the time of the profile (but not more than 90 days) to train for the APFT. For example, if the profile period was 7 days, the soldier has 14 days to train for the APFT after the profile period ends. If a normally scheduled APFT occurs during the profile period, the soldier should be given a mandatory make-up date.

5. If a Soldier fails a second consecutive record APFT this will result in a bar to re-enlistment and consideration for reduction in rank.

AR 635-200, 13-2:
    e. Initiation of separation proceedings is required for soldiers without medical limitations who have two consecutive
    failures of the Army physical fitness test per AR 350–1 or who are eliminated for cause from Noncommissioned
    Officer Education System courses, unless the responsible commander chooses to impose a bar to re-enlistment per AR
    601–280 (RA soldiers) or AR 140–111 (USAR AGR soldiers).

Would you like me to mail this to 1LT Robert J. Kimmel myself with my signature block?

8. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Turbo: The man. The myth. The legend. :eek3:

9. Fearan

Fearan Guest

Get your friends and yourself in shape. :dunno:

10. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

You are the man! Wow, great write up! Thank you so much. How long did this take you to research? The CDR probably had nothing to do with the writing of the policy, although his signature is on it. He's generally a good guy and wouldn't do anything deliberate to cause problems for a soldier under his command. I did PM you with some other questions.

If you don't mind me asking, whats your job title?