GUN I need some ideas on a new way I can start carrying...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Accord, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Accord

Accord New Member

I'm involved in a lot of activities and other things where I can't carry or carrying on my person just isn't feasible. For example, a typical day like today is the following:

Wake up... drive to the gym... lock my gun in my locker... change into workout clothes... lift weights... go back and change into swim gear... swim 1500m... change back into regular clothes... drive home... take a shower... drive to my USMC recruiters officer (federal property, can't carry inside)... drive home... run 3 miles later that night. On some nights I play ice hockey and leave my gun locked inside my hockey bag since I obviously can't wear it while i'm on the ice playing.

I'm constantly changing clothes or in situations with minimal and lightweight clothes (like at the gym), so carrying even IWB my gun would be exposed when changing in the lockerroom, and I really hate leaving my gun inside of a locker. I've just been covering my 229 with a towel so it wouldn't be exposed when changing. And when I go to my recruiters office where you can't carry and he'll usually make me do pullups, pushups, etc. so I don't want a holster digging into me even if it's empty and my gun is in the car.

I currently carry my 229 in a CTAC, but it's just totally impractical considering i'm constantly changing my clothes and wearing clothes such as workout shorts where you can't even use a holster like the CTAC since you don't wear a belt.

A belly band wouldn't work because when working out or doing pullups or something it would definitely be exposed.

I need to figure out a better way to carry and would appreciate any ideas. I would REALLY like to avoid a fanny pack at all costs, but it seems like that's my only option.

2. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

My advice: get used to it. You're still carrying more now than you will be in the Corps.

3. clarus

clarus OT Supporter

Do you really need to carry inside? Why not just leave it holstered in the car and on days where you know that you wont be changing a lot just carry as normal. I dont really see any other way around it.

4. Accord

Accord New Member

Leaving it in the car isn't an option, there were robberies at gun point outside of LA Fitness gyms in South Florida, so there's no way i'm not going to leave it in the car.

And plus, you never know if a psychopath will come into the gym and start shooting everyone up, and i'll be damned if I become another Suzanna Hupp. Anytime I don't feel like carrying into a store or whatever I always think "what if this turns out to be the one time where I need it...." so I end up just carrying it.

5. Accord

Accord New Member

True. I've heard horror stories about the armorers who fuck around with personally owned weapons :o.

6. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

7. Gimik

Gimik New Member

arent you leave it in the car guys afraid your car will get stolen? Then I'm up shit creek for not having my gun in a super lockbox in my car or something and allowing a criminal "easy" access to it.

8. Accord

Accord New Member

When I leave my gun in the car, I lock it in the glovebox which is sufficient.

9. Gimik

Gimik New Member

:dunno: according to the CCW class I took, I will be held liable if it's not in a locking box and the glove compartment didn't count. Maybe it's a state by state thing though.

Oh, and my glove box doesn't lock anyway (now that I think about it).

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

NY its illegal to leave a handgun in your vehicle unattended.

11. Bdog

Bdog ...but do I really care?

If I were carrying all the time, no matter what activity I wouldn't do it with a 229. They are great, but heavy and bulky for concealed carry all day, what about getting a different gun? I'd get a Kimber Ultra Carry or similar, Glock 27, Sig 232... something smaller. If not, you don't have too many options other than an inside the pants holster, Galco has some you don't need a belt with.

12. Gimik

Gimik New Member

maybe a pocket gun instead of one you have to carry in a holster? A j frame?

13. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

14. Gimik

Gimik New Member

or a j-frame :x:

15. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I second that. I shot my friends P3AT and hated it. I'm guessing my hands are just too big for it.

16. Accord

Accord New Member

I have a S&W 642, but still run into the same problems I do when I carry my 229.

17. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I have the 340pd in my pocket right now and I can't even tell. :dunno:

18. Accord

Accord New Member

What pocket holster are you using?

I have a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster for my 642 and anytime I sit down my gun just slides right out of the holster, it's ridiculous. Such a horrible holster.

19. Gimik

Gimik New Member

actually I did a bunch of reading and the most popular seemed to be the uncle mikes pocket holster. It was like $9 and I haven't had any problems. It seems like I might have to buy one every so often because the corner likes to bend after a while. But so far so good.

I've been wearing it for a few months and it has never fallen out of my pocket.

20. bacca

bacca Guns, Pussy, Paintball, Cars- What theres more in

What about using a small day-runner type note book? That how i used to carry when i didnt live in this commie state. When your in lite weight clothes use that and when you can use the holster. JM2C

21. Accord

Accord New Member

22. Gimik

Gimik New Member

23. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

wtf jolly gay jewant

24. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

In Colorado you can leave your gun hanging from your rear view mirror with all of the doors unlocked and you have no liability if someone breaks in and takes it. The exception is when you're on school property. In that case you have to lock your car doors (but it's still perfectly legal to hang it from the rear view mirror if that's how you want to store it). It blows my fucking mind that a state would try to find ME liable because someone else broke into MY car and stole MY property. What in the fuck is wrong with these people????

Accord, get a Keltec P3AT and the belt clip that they make for it. Mine goes with me damn near everywhere (unless I'm naked or it's definately illegal for me to carry there). Even when I wake up in the morning I just clip it to my boxers and I don't even notice it's there when I'm doing shit before I get dressed. You can clip it to a pair of gym shorts np. You won't even notice that you have it on you.

25. Accord

Accord New Member

Mine is a 642 which is a .38 airweight.