I need some help

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Robb, May 13, 2003.

1. Robb

Robb Guest

Im somewhat new to detailing, been doing this less than a year. Here is my current problem, the products i use are meguiars, and s100 for wax, my problem is this, i have some light scratches and swirls, about 6 months ago, i did #9, #7 and then s100, the results were very pleasing because i had great shine, depth and the reflections were brilliant; but i still had scratches and light swirls. So i bought some meguiars #2 today, i realize this stuff isnt for hand use, but i used it anyways, i first qd'd the area then i worked the product until it was dry and started to dust, after i buffed it off i noticed lots of scratches in the same pattern(front to back) as i had just applied. i then did about 3 coats of #9, 2 coats 7 then waxed, the scratches were minimized but defiately still there, what shall i do? im thinking to try dacp and see what that does, any other tips? Thanks

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Go with DACP. It starts off as strong as #2, but breaks down when you work it until nearly clear and dry to about the same level as #9.

When you work with something stronger than #9 by hand, make sure you use terry cloth towels folded into 1/8ths size and refold for every section you work. It gives you a thick pad so you can apply even pressure while the deep nap has more cutting power than foam, but still soft enough it won't leave scratches.

Make sure with DACP that you work it until nearly clear and dry and then buff it immediately or it practically welds itself to the paint.

3. Robb

Robb Guest

thanks Scott, i was hoping you would answer this because u do everything by hand and also use meguiars products. seeing some of the cars u have done, u are my hero.
    side question-how much pressure should i use when applying these compounds, knowing that they are tougher to break downt he abrasives i have been using very firm pressure, is that okay? Thanks.
    Oh, one other thing i was going to ask you. Im going to detail cars on the side this summer, i read on autopia that you feel you shouldnt charge lower prices to attract customers, well, i tend to know what im doing, so i think the quality of work is there, but i am just going to be doing this on the side this summer, no plans of full-time, just enough to pay for a few extra things, i put up flyers around town w/ these prices-could you tell me if you think theyre accceptable?
    basic exterior-30.00-hand wash/dry, hand wax, vacuum, and dress tires
    full exterior-wash/dry,polish,glaze,wax,dress tires,vac-50
    interior-vac,clean/treat all vinyl leather, door jams, windows, spot removal-35? Sorry i wrote a novel, thanks again Scott

4. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I can't really comment on the prices, but as far as application pressure goes, I use a good firm, uniform pressure all around and get great results. I hope this helps.

5. FNG

FNG Guest

For the prices, call some of the detailers in your area and see what they charge. If youre working in a wealthy area, they wont mind paying a higher price, but if youre working in a not so wealthy area, they wont be willing to pay as much.

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Robb-way too cheap. You can probably double those prices. If you have the confidence in your abilities, don't sell yourself short. Believe me, you don't want to spend 2-3 hours washing and waxing a car for only $30, even if it is part time.

Like FNG recommended, check the prices in your area and try to stay in the same range.