I need some help with Madden 10

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by Mr J, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Mr J

Mr J New Member

Being from England I still don't fully understand American Football but I know enough to watch a game and enjoy it. However when it comes to Madden I fucking suck.

My quarterbacks keep getting sacked, I probably only manage to complete about 50% of throws and I also manage to confuse myself with plays constantly. Like I'll choose a play and not realise that it's gonna get given to my running back, it takes me by surprise and I lose yards or just run straight into someone.

I guess it'll come with practice but I just need some tips really. Which player should I look to control on a defensive play? I never know what I'm meant to be doing, where to run, who to block, etc. The computer often sneaks through and gets a 60 yard TD :hs:

Also why when I ask madden does he always tell me to blitz?

Any help for the n00b? I did some googling but most of the tips are things like this which use far too many terms I don't yet understand. Ie; "snap out of the shotgun", wat?

2. it's tim

it's tim Active Member

Sounds like you should play FIFA instead.

In all seriousness just look where you're supposed to go with the arrows and follow. 50% completion is fine.

I have no better advice, as I gave the game up a couple years ago.

3. Bruce Banner

Bruce Banner OT Supporter

offense - take your time make sure your WR's are open but watch the guys blocking for your QB. make sure you stay in the pocket they create.

if nobody is open run with your QB and try and get the 1st. i haven't played/been following football in awhile so i'm not sure if that still applies.

defense i always sucked at, i just would pick man cover 2/blitz and just prayed.

cliffs: i suck at madden

4. Bruce Banner

Bruce Banner OT Supporter

also if your having trouble picking the wrong plays cycle by type of play instead of formation or whatever.

5. Los

Los Active Member

what difficutly are you trying this at?

A few thoughts, according to Los (I'm by no means an expert, just a fellow enthusiast like yourself).

Offense

When I see four downline men (4-3 generally) and one or two linebackers moving into a blitz, I'll generally switch plays and call for a slant or an toss to a running back.

Stick to your game plan. Just because your running isn't working at the moment doesn't mean that its destined to fail. Sometimes you just have to wear and tear at the DL until you start pulling 5 instead of 3 yards, 10 instead of 5 yards, and break one for a TD.

You do play action to set up your running game. Hit em with a few 3-5 yard runs then BAM! Pull a Peyton Manning and pew pew over the top.

Slant routes can be your friend.

I believe in the mobile quarterback, meaning that if everyone is covered but there is a hole in the line or you can roll out of the pocket and net some yards, do it.

Defense

You should blitz when they're not in a shotgun formation (the quarterback a few yards back from the center and getting the ball "tossed" to them). But on occassion, I'll throw a linebacker blitz in there if I think they're doing a handoff.

I use the multiple D Defense package because of the variety in the 3-4 and nickel formations. Wikipedia the various functions of the formations. 4-3 is generally a run-stop formation. 3-4 is better for the outside run with 4 line backers vs 3 with the 4-3. 4-6 is just epic at the run game but fails at a mid to long passing attack. I tend to favor a 2-4 or 1-5 nickel defense on 3rd and long situations.

If I see 2WR 2TE 1RB, I'll generally play 4-3, sometimes 3-4 because of the various blitz packages. If I see 3WR 1TE 1RB, I'll more often play nickel over 3-4. If I see 4WR 1TE 0RB, I'm playing dime or quarter, usually double teaming their slot recievers.

I tend to blitz more early than late.

I tend to be really good at stopping the rush but mediocre at the passing attack (Tom Brady almost hit 600 yards passing on me one game... but this is all on 15 minute quarters).

Hope this helps.

6. OneTwo

OneTwo me>you OT Supporter

well, first it sounds like you need to learn what plays are runs or passes.

snap from shotgun means the QB is standing about ~5 yards behind the center(guy who snaps the ball). Its used mainly for passing, but can easily be used for running the ball.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_formation

7. dontbehatin45

dontbehatin45 New Member

yeah definitely sounds like you need to understand basic concepts of football before you play the game lol

8. kmad86

kmad86 Swine Epidemic Survival Crew '09 OT Supporter

On defense, I am always one of the guys on the line, unless a Middle linebacker is blitzing.

When it comes to throwing, you do know that when you hike the ball the computer will automatically backstep you. I hold down the right trigger and scramble out of the pocket a lot.

9. Los

Los Active Member

Try to stay in the pocket as long as possible. Running out early on doesn't work out well. :(

10. Mr J

Mr J New Member

I'm on "all pro" difficulty. I was gonna switch to rookie but all the achievements are on all pro. I tried a game on rookie and stomped the CPU 42-7 :rofl:

I'll keep all those tips in mind, thanks for explaining things in plain english :bowdown:

Yeah I think I've figured it out now. I need to stop pressing buttons though. In other sports games I always mash buttons to skip cutscenes etc but when you do it in madden it chooses a play for you :rofl:

I know more than the average person in England and like I said I can watch a game and know what's up. It's just some of the finer details and rules that I don't know. This is part of the reason i picked up madden, it'll help me learn

I've noticed that backstep thing, can be kinda annoying at times. Other times it works in my favour. I was playing franchise with the Colts earlier and Manning was hitting loads of passes for me :bowdown:

Yeah I do but sometimes my big guys get over-run and some cunt sacks me from out of nowhere. It's difficult to watch all the running players and make sure you don't get tackled at the same time.

I definately am getting better at this as time goes on though and enjoying the fuck out of the game. Is there an option to design your own plays?

11. Los

Los Active Member

designing your own plays is on NFL Head Coach 09, which still I feel is lacking some depth, though I'm enjoying the game (picked Miami but its really tough as they're all but depleted in terms of talent).

I'm between All-Pro and All-Madden, meaning that I can rape All-Pro but still suck donkey balls on All-Madden.

Definately experiement with plays and play styles (pick different teams to play on exhibition). I tend to the best in a balanced offense (50% pass, 50% run) but do rely heavily on the running game to set up my passing offense.

If it turns out to be a shootout late in the game, dont worry about. I press man coverage or show blitz on a pure zone coverage to get a pick.

12. Mr J

Mr J New Member

What's all the shit you choose before the game btw? I was playing on XBL yesterday and some guy spent literally 5 minutes choosing his playbooks or whatever it is on the 3rd tab along. You have offense/defense and then it says someone's name. How am I supposed to know which one to choose just from a name? I'm probably better leaving that shit alone right?

13. Los

Los Active Member

Offensive/defensive plays.

I use
    Offense: Miami - Sporano
    Defense: Multiple D

Generally you want to use a playbook you're familiar with. By default, it should be your team's own playbook.

14. Los

Los Active Member

First time I played in 2 weeks, ran over the Bears 61-7 on AP with the Bears being rated a higher team. :hsugh:

15. FunkyMunniez

FunkyMunniez Active Member

1. never ask madden
    2. set play picking mode to hardcore
    3. lower AI difficutly
    4. look at arrows on play pick screen
    ????
    5. profit

16. Mr J

Mr J New Member

Is there a way to preview them before playing? That would be helpful.

play picking mode? where would i change that? im not gonna change AI difficulty, it's too easy on rookie

17. Los

Los Active Member

Nope. that's why you play on exhibition with teams you like and see how their plays are. In season you can mix and match.

It also helps if you play the NCAA series, some of the basic sets like run 'n gun, west coast and balanced are almost exactly the same.

In NCAA 10, I use the Balanced Offense.

18. Mr J

Mr J New Member

Yeah I've probably played a total of 10 exhibition games before starting franchise mode. I'm still in pre-season so it's pretty much exhibition mode except i can only choose one team :rofl:

I do love the amount of depth the game goes into though. I've learned a tonne of stuff already. Now I just need to convince my friends that NFL is better than the Premier League (soccer) :o

19. Los

Los Active Member

pre-season is 4 games before the season starts. exhibition is just a quick-play.

and nfl fo life. :o

20. Dogz

Dogz interior crocodile moderator

sup Los

21. Eticket109

Eticket109 Nibbles, chew through my ball sack. Moderator

Don't worry about achievements when learning the game. It's easy to just set those up later.

I would say to set the game to the lowest level until you get a handle on the game of football. Once you get the basics down then crank it up.

www.operationsports.com has a lot of tips on difficulty sliders and strategy to use once you get going.

Then again, I tend to play 2 or 3 games every time I buy Madden and then spend the rest of the time simulating franchises. :o

22. Los

Los Active Member

23. Los

Los Active Member

sup baby

24. FunkyMunniez

FunkyMunniez Active Member

settings > options > gameplay

atleast i think its gameplay. you set it from the main menu.

25. Eticket109

Eticket109 Nibbles, chew through my ball sack. Moderator

What? I love the draft and free agency and shit. :o

This year I bought it again because my best friend back home and I used to play all the time. Then, the fucker takes months to buy it and we still haven't played a game. :hs: