GUN I need some help with a part on my Glock quickly... *pics*

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by HPS, Apr 28, 2005.

1. HPS

HPS I'm not fat, I'm poofy... :fawk:

I know this will be a dumb question, but I don't care cuz I need to know... :hs:
    I had to buy a new recoil spring because of an issue w/ the slide not completely coming back after discharging the firearm. This is, as far as I've been able to gather, a 2nd geeration G17. I went and picked up the recoil spring today, and it is not what is in my gun. I asked 2 different people. First one said it was right and sent me to the guy down at the gun counter. He pulled out what he said was a 2nd gen G17, except the grip was completely different, and pull the recoil spring. Same spring, same number...
    Here is where I am thrown off- It looks completely different than mine. The springs themselves are different, mine is longer (I think. I'll know when I get home), my assembly is metal and this is plastic, and the biggest thing, my assembly depresses in the middle while this one is one big solid piece of plastic that doesn't budge...
    Maybe I am way off, but these don't seem the same to me at all. Am I supposed to swap the spring onto my assembly somehow, even though that would defeat the point of buying it? Maybe the one in my Glock is aftermarket? Maybe this is a new version of the one in my gun? Every one I can see online is like the one I bought, but the one in my gun is different, so I dunno? I dunno, I just wanna make sure I have the right part and it's going to work ok... :hs:
    Help before I get home and try to fix it is greatly appreciated... :hs:

The Gun... (for reference)
    [​IMG]

The spring that is in my gun now...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The spring I just bought...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

the First spring is a captive setup. Both ends come together in the middle as the outer spring compresses. 2nd spring is a standard spring/guiderod by the looks of it. as the slide comes back, the washer compresses the spring while the rod itself jets out the front of the gun. It's cheaper to replace than the captive unit and being plastic, ALOT cheaper to replace.

3. HPS

:cool: Good too know... Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate it... :coold:
    Out of curiosity, if I wanted an aftermarket like the one I am replacing, how much do they run? :dunno:

4. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Glock used both models from the factory. So you probably just got the upgraded part :)

If you want the captive version, $22 bucks

http://www.theglockguy.com/recoilsprings.html

Personally, I like the standard style. Captive units have more parts to worry about. With a standard, it's easier to replace just the spring so you can go with aftermarket springs like Wolff for less recoil.

5. HPS

6. GunShow

GunShow You had best unfuck yourself

As has already been said you are better off staying with the factory parts.

7. HPS

I'm going too, I was just curious... :wavey:

8. tusk212

tusk212 New Member

The one that came with your 17 looks to be a recoil reducing set up. what you go at the gun store is a stock guide rod and spring. Also the reason the Glock 17 at the shop looked different, was most likely because it was a 3rd gen, which has finger grooves. Any more questions about your Glock 17, feel free to pm me( i own one myself)