I need some car help.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by wat, Aug 11, 2006.

1. wat

wat New Member

Well, this all started maybe two months ago, but hasn't ever been nearly as bad as it was today: everytime I turn left or even slightly to the left, there is a loud squealing noise, but this doesn't happen when I turn right.

I don't know much about cars, but I have a 98 grand prix gtp (front wheel drive), and I would like to know what's causing this. Previously it would do it for the first few seconds til I get down the block and then it would be done for the day, it seemed. Today it did it the whole time when I went out the get fast food.

I don't really want any unnecessary repairs right now because I'm about to go back to school, but this is both annoying and embarrassing (my dad knows a lot about cars, but I haven't really bothered asking him since he gives me shit, plus he's out of town right now), and I'd like to know if I should get this fixed soon, what it is, and what you think it will cost to fix (and if I could do it myself).

I will post more info if necessary.

2. Phx Cobra

Phx Cobra OT Supporter

Sounds like maybe CV boot/joint is torn. Does it make a clicking noise, or just a constant squeal?

3. tobagator

tobagator But see drugs and plastic thugs, ain't gon change

loud squeel is your serpentine belts. Check the tension in all the belts, and tighten them up some it should have about an inch of play. It shoulnd't be easy to move it this inch either. All and all this is an easy fix.

4. m3m750

m3m750 Kickin' it old school

given that it only happens when you're turning left, CV joint/boot would be my first suspicion.

5. tobagator

well since he is saying a squeal and not clicking i am Going to say its just the belts. Especially since it used to go away after awhile. Its a loose serpentine belt that has just gotten looser.

6. wat

wat New Member

I wouldn't say that it's a constant squeal, but there's no clicking involved. If I turn the slightest bit of left, it makes a squeal, but usually it goes away pretty fast. I have a suspicion that it may have to do with lubrication and it rained last night and maybe that was why it was so bad today... but I have no idea.:dunno:

Like I said, it's only when I turn left.

Edit: And while we're on this topic, I have another question. My ABS light is on and it has been on for quite some time now, which, in turn, turns off my TCS, why do you think it's doing that? Bad sensor maybe? It started about the same time as the squeal. I don't want to run my car into the ground, but I haven't had any extra cash lately.

7. m3m750

m3m750 Kickin' it old school

While you may be right, I wouldn't expect the serpentine belt to be affected by turning only to the left.

8. tobagator

tighten the belts and see if the noise goes away. Usually abs lights are related to a wheel sensor so you should start there.

9. Hud

Hud Quit Cryin'

Does it sound like a metal squeal? There is a huge difference between a belt squeal and a metal squeal. It could be your brake pads are worn too low. The squealing sound would be your sensor letting you know this, and yes it does sometimes go away and only happen when you turn. Which also may be why your ABS light came on about the same time.

Brake places usually will check them for free. Stay there, watch them take your tire off and such, and inspect the old brake pad when they bring it to show you why you need work. This will insure that you don't pay for something un-needed.

10. wat

wat New Member

I'm not exactly sure, but it doesn't really sound like a belt squeal. It sounds like a high-pitched, monotone squeal.

11. boek

boek New Member

wheel bearing?

12. AO

AO New Member

I would have said the power steering pump, upon which the belt rides.

13. Mr3GTP

Mr3GTP OT Supporter

Definite wheel bearing...I own one, and the right-front ones are notorious for failure. I bought my '01 brand new, and had the r/f bearing replaced under warranty at 7,800 miles.

14. 7960

7960 New Member

grand prix isn't exactly "muscle" but it's american ... good luck

15. wat

wat New Member

Lol, well.. I made the post in on-topic first and then it was moved in here.

Anyway, thanks for all of your advice. Feel free to give more... I need all of the advice I can get as money is very tight around here. I'd rather know what is causing it before I go into the shop so they don't charge me more money for pussyfooting around.