TAT I need some advice...

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by frankdahtank21, Apr 1, 2008.

1. frankdahtank21

frankdahtank21 You have no fucking idea!

so to try to keep this as short and to the point as possible i will keep out all of the bs. My older sister got her first tattoo some time last year and another one a few months ago (one is on her hip, the other going around her ankle). Im pretty sure that my parents are against tattoos, but im not entirely sure. My mom knows about the one on my sister's hip but not about the one on the ankle, and my dad does not know about either. My sister decided to keep my parents pretty much in the dark on this, which may come back to haunt her (i hope not).

Well I have been thinking about getting a tattoo but im stuck on some road blocks:

1) I dont want to disrespect my parents but it is my body and i am old enough now to make my own decisions
    2) It would be nearly impossible for me to hide it from them because im usually home on weekends and will be home for 4 months this summer

im almost convinced that i would not be able to hide it from them, the best thing to do is to talk to them about it. But im not so sure... These are a couple of things i could do, let me kno what you think cuz i am extremely confused on what i should do.

1) What till im done with college and out on my own
    2) Talk to my parents about what i want to do
    3) Have my sister talk to my parents about her tattoos so that I can see their view point
    4) or anything else you guys can come up with

this is tough for me because i really care about my parents views and i want to respect them, i would just like to do something for me! thanx

2. XxvODvxX

XxvODvxX New Member

i basically got my father to admit he wanted one but it was too expensive for what he wanted. My friend told me it wouldn' cost much and i told my father i would pay for his if i got mine. That is when i started to get tatts. However, my parents do love my tattoos but are not happy with the fact if i got more. This is all even after i have moved out and live on my own. But more so now i will continue to get tattoed and not worry about it as much.

My advice to you would be to talk to them if you have an open relationship where you can discuss something like this. If your parents do support your view they will want to know what, where, why. and i would have an arsenal of answers just incase they ask any question. Who knows they may be ok with you getting one even though they kinda do kinda don't know about your sister. Or you could make your sister do it by means of blackmale and telling she has one :0) .

IMO honesty is the best policy.

3. frankdahtank21

:werd:

4. FoolioABC

FoolioABC New Member

for me, my parents are always a little pissed off when i get a new tattoo, but usually come around when they get used to it. still though, i don't really tell them when i get one, and usually get them in places that can be covered with a shirt, so i just wear a shirt most of the time when i'm around them. it sounds like a bitch, but it actually isn't that bad.

5. frankdahtank21

yea i was thinking about getting something on my shoulder or upper arm, so that a short sleeve shirt shirt could cover it

6. vwjetta

vwjetta New Member

The problem with that would be the fact that you need to take care of the tattoo pretty frequently in the first few days you get it, so if you plan to hide it from your parents, get it when you have time to be away from them. Also, I'd imagine it would be pretty difficult to hide a tattoo in the summer. Wouldn't you be going to a pool or lake/ocean?

As XxvODvxX said, I think honesty is the best policy. Talk to your parents and hopefully they'll be ok with it. I though my parents would never let me get one, but after a few weeks of talking to them, showing them that I did my research (showing samples of work from the artist) and so on, they were pretty much settled on the fact that I would get one, even if that wasnt their best choice.

Hope this helps

7. XxvODvxX

XxvODvxX New Member

:x: Good luck let us know how it all turns out...

8. frankdahtank21

Well i talked to my sister and she said that she is going to end up telling my parents about her tattoos sometime this summer. Because she is turning 21 in nov. and my mom told her to wait till she was 21 to get anymore, so naturally they are going to suspect something.

My plan as of now is that I am going to wait until my parents find out about my sister's tattoos, then sometime after that talk to them about me getting a tattoo.

I definitely not going to rush things though. I have a few ideas of what I would want to get, but I just need to be patient and get it some time.

9. frankdahtank21

how old were you when you got your first tattoo?

10. Memor

Memor Active Member

If you're going to get a tattoo, take responsibility for it and be able to back it up. Tell your parents. Hiding from them is disrespectful and immature, and people usually do it under the guise of "they're better off not knowing" which is a ridiculously retarded and selfish assumption in the first place. They'll thank you later for being honest.

11. vwjetta

vwjetta New Member

12. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

and you had to ask permission? :ugh:

13. vwjetta

vwjetta New Member

no... but unlike some people, I respect my parents opinion. And I didnt ask for permission, I just let them know that I was getting one. But, since I still live at home while I go to school, I figured it would be the least I could do to make sure they're not upset and kick me out.

And guess what, even when I'm 40 or older, I'll still be asking my parents for advice, because they would have lived longer and be wiser.

14. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

I respect my parents opinion as well but this is what you posted....

That's asking for permission. At 21 my parents had no say what I did with my body. :dunno:

15. frankdahtank21

yea thats what my sis is saying. Im about to turn 19 in a little and i figure that my parents wont be surprised that i would want to get a tattoo.

its funny though I would expect my parents to think that my sister got another tattoo, because she is always pants with long socks (to cover the tattoo on her ankle). We live in fucking florida, who the hell wears pants all day.

I wouldnt do what my sister did and keep my parents out of the loop and be dishonest to them. That woulnt be wise on my part because they would find out as soon as I got home.

16. cuttin' wax

cuttin' wax New Member

I respect my parents just as much as the next son or daughter, but at the same time I would like a little bit of respect in return for some of the choices I make.

That being said, my medusa piercing was enough for them to kick me out of the house, take my car, sell it, and stop helping me pay for college which pretty much means Im homeless after this semester.

If anything, just make sure they know youre aware of the possible risks of getting a tattoo (stress that you know the shop is sterile and whatnot), you know that it COULD make it hard for you to get a job (even though you really know it probably wont if its on your shoulder), and that you understand it is indeed permanent and it will be on you for the rest of your life. Most rational thinking parents should be relieved that you know what youre getting yourself in to and they will feel better about the whole situation.

17. sploosh

sploosh OT Supporter

Just be honest w/ them.

When I was 16, I found out I had a family crest (jap). I kept telling my mom that I was going to get a tattoo when I turned 18. She responded w/ the usual "if you get it you move out" stuff. But I kept joking w/ her that I was going to get one.

On my 18th b-day, I showed her my new tattoo and her response was: "meh.. you were talking about it so much the past two years I kinda expected it."

GL w/ your folks!

18. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

what the hell is wrong with parents? :ugh:

19. vwjetta

vwjetta New Member

In that section I was saying that I wouldnt expect them to let me get one if I asked them, nowhere did it say that I had to ask them or that I did ask for permission. Sorry you misread the post.:cool: