I need some advice on my GTI

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Ep, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Ep

Ep Guest

I posted on vortex, but I figured I'd post here. I bought this car from a friend with plans to work on it myself, but now I don't have time. It's got around 190,000 on the body. The engine was rebuilt and has a little over 100,000. It's a 2.0 1997 GTI. It's chipped, has cut springs:hsugh: and headers.

Pros- I put a new exhaust on it, sounds great. Put new Hancook tires on it.That back tire just needs air, it's been sitting in my garage for a while. New rotors and a new back rear caliper. New front brakes

Cons- Obviously beat up. Needs a paintjob, some rust, needs back brakes, needs bushings on the shifter (first gear is rough). Needs a new radiator. Had a mold problem that came back (It wasn't there when i got the car). All in all not much work needed other then getting rid of the mold. Maybe like 500$ if you get a paintjob from Maaco or something.

Now, should I put a new rad and back brakes which I can do the work all myself? And try to get < $1000 for it? Or part it out? Or just fix it myself when I get the time and then attempt to sell it for x > $1000? thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ep

Ep Guest

mold and the bad rust spot

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. deuceforty

deuceforty between rupture and rapture

both fast and furious son

shoulda double clutched

4. Ep

Ep Guest

right

5. Ep

Ep Guest

btw. this paintjob was done by my "friend". kids a little weird. I haven't touched the vehicle except for the rotors, brakes, exhaust and tires

6. breal

breal Active Member

:bowrofl: id just throw that shit out. youll end up losing money on it

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Wrong forum.

8. Ep

Ep Guest

not really. it's called parting out a car:bowdown:. I'd rather have 200 bucks then nothing

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2008
  9. Ep

Ep Guest

awesome advice from an awesome poster

10. project15

project15 New Member

gtfo

and why on earth would you buy that car? :ugh: part it out and get something back.

11. Ep

Ep Guest

what are you retarded? this is my thread...

why on earth would you buy that car? Because I know plenty of people who would buy this car in a heartbeat for 500 dollars... It needs 500 dollars worth of work IF you want to paint it. that's 1000 dollar car which has brand new brakes, tires, rotors exhaust and is faster then stock gtis of the same year

since you'll most likely get confused,what I'm getting at is it needs a radiator to be running again. I can do brakes and the radiator, so I was wondering if it was worth spending the day doing this to get it running to sell it. Or if I should just part it out because the price difference wont be that big (considering the condition of the body)

12. breal

breal Active Member

[​IMG]

you know, they usually give you money for your car at the junk yard. my old roomate got $300 for a caravan with a blown transmission

13. breal

breal Active Member

good luck getting new paint, removing rust, new radiator, new rear brakes, probably more than just a new shifter bushing, and completely eliminating mold for $500

14. Ep

Ep Guest

I have the rad, it was 40 bucks at the junk yard in GReat condition. check
    brakes are cheap when you put them on yourself.
    the shifter only needs bushings, it shifts GREAT you just have to muscle it into first (and by muscle no I don't mean it's IMPOSSIBLE because I drove around the car for a few hundred miles it's just not smooth as it should be). Mold well it depends. I could get used GTI seats off vortex for cheap and then just remove it from the floor and sides so it looks like there is no mold problem. Paintjob at MAACO is 250$ I believe

15. Ep

Ep Guest

I know, but I'd rather just part it out. I'll probably get more. I just figured getting it running, without making it look nice again, would bring me in a few hundred more

16. notaniceperson

notaniceperson -I'm an ASSHOLE!

Wow that car looks like shit. Even for a VW. Donate for tax refund.

17. Ep

Ep Guest

Yep. Black people love this car it's hilarious. I was embarrassed by the paintjob, but as soon as I drove into queens all I heard was shit like

YEAHHHHH NIGGA... YEAHHHHH

i think a tax refund will get me less then what I could get for parting it out

18. PHXDEMON

PHXDEMON Taints N Beans OT Supporter

Don't part it out. You wont get shit for those 2.0 parts trust me. Just sell it as one piece for 500 bucks.

19. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

2.0s do not deserve the GTI moniker-how could they it wear one

20. Ep

Ep Guest

so throw the radiator in and put on the brakes, clean off the mold and ask for 1 grand or best offer?

21. red97gst

red97gst New Member

Looks like someone performed the JETTA front end conversion on it.

If the only problems are the ones youre talking about, I say fix it. You could probably swing $2000 for that thing if you gave it a paint job and fixed the mold and got it running. I don't know what you paid for it, but if you're handy and can get her running and get rid of the obvious mold and rust cheaply , do it.

I dont' know how much you'd get parting it out, since it seems like every body panel is owned. The motor also has a lot of miles , so there's only a few parts on it that would be sellable. People on vortex (or at least the European Import forum here) would have better advice, cuz I don't know what the demand and pricing is for 2.0l Golf IIIs.

The MAACO paint jobs are absolutely terrible, but it would be a step up from how it looks. Just put some bondo over that rust and paint her up and get it runnin. Then advertise it in Queens, or drive around with the FOR SALE sign and sell it to some dude who just made some quick loot off an ounce