I need some advice for the GF.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Felix, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Felix

Felix Its good to be me.

So I've been back at the gym for around a month now, and my workout and diet have been working well for me, but I need some advice for the GF.

I'm looking for what a good workout for a girl would be? She's just looking to lose some weight, and gain some lean muscle.

I know it might be a stupid question, but is it ok for a girl to drink protein shakes?

Any help would be appreciated!!

2. JeffMerr

JeffMerr Guest

The same as it would for a male.

And yes it's ok for her to consume protein shakes.

3. ACLdestroyer

ACLdestroyer OT Supporter

There are a few slight differences. She doesnt quite need as much protein as a male. Also, you need to start her out on light weight sets of say, 10-15 reps. First thing most girls need is to build tendon and stabilizer strength. Lifting heavy right away is a nono for women.

Otherwise, protein shakes are fine. Also, feel free to supplement with jizz shots.

4. Felix

Felix Its good to be me.

Thats what I figured. She is doing light weights, in the 15 to 20lb range. Also, would core exercises work well for girls, like squats and deadlifts?

5. ACLdestroyer

ACLdestroyer OT Supporter

Definately. Just keep the weight low and get her form on point.

6. Gohan4862

Gohan4862 New Member

definitely teach her compound lifts, my girl can squat really well, over head squat, clean etc.

7. Mass

Mass Active Member

stop putting ranch dressing on everything, drink diet sodas, cardio.

8. Felix

Felix Its good to be me.

Ok sweet. Would it be better for her to just do a range of core exercises 3 days a week, along with cardio 5 days a week, then for her to do isolation lifts such as dumb bell presses, pulldowns etc......??

9. Gohan4862

Gohan4862 New Member

I'd start out with teaching her the compound lifts, don't split her up into body parts, I'd probably get her on fullbody 3xweek

10. Felix

Felix Its good to be me.

We don't drink soda's and we do cardio 5 days a week. She's good about cardio, but I think some lifting would do her some good.

11. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

never ever use "light" weights. use manageable weights that are challenging for 10-15 reps. Using "light" weights is a waste of time. While it may not be the heaviest weight in the gym, around 10-15 reps it should feel very heavy, and 20 reps should be impossible.

12. cls

cls Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in

I know the common wisdom here is for a female to do the same workout as a male, but let me play devil's advocate, just to make sure I understand everything correctly:

A female does not have as much testosterone as a male, so she cannot gain nearly as much muscle/strength. Therefore, why should a female do a program like a male would do, typically consisting of intense muscle-building and strength-building exercises? Wouldn't that be akin to putting drag slicks and expensive performance parts on a ford focus - a waste of time and energy? Would a female be better off doing limited weight training due to her limited potential?

13. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

terrible analogy.

working out "like a man would" gives benefits. Limited weight training does not.

limited weight training would be like skipping the roll cage in the focus because, if it crashes its probably not going to be going all *that* fast right?

there are only two options: hard work or wasting time.

14. Felix

Felix Its good to be me.

I was under a similar assumption, but it looks like I'm wrong.

15. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

I'd agree with this. The woman won't see gains on par with a man because of her lower test level but that doesn't mean she shouldn't work out just as hard.

Should a man training naturally pussyfoot around in the gym because he isn't running test?

16. cls

Okay, but I'm saying that if a female is only capable of half the results, should she do half the work? Does it make sense for a female to do a high-volume body builder routine if her muscles are not going to grow very much? Can she maximize her potential with less work?

17. Felix

Felix Its good to be me.

I agree with this, but what I was wondering was what kind of exercises should she be doing? I completely encourage her to push herself, but I didn't know what exercises I should lean her towards.

18. cls

If you're running test you have much more potential for growth and can handle much more work. A natural athlete wouldn't work out as hard as Coleman or do an intense WSB template.

19. -Boost-

-Boost- Active Member

Someone's dating a fixer upper. :mamoru:

Just playin

20. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

True that. However, putting a girl on something like pur's routine would be fine I think. Plenty of recovery time.

21. Felix

Felix Its good to be me.

:wtc::wtc: Nah, she has a few weddings that she is in the next few months, and she wants to look good for them.

22. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

I've found that people that want to improve their appearance for some sort of event usually never do anything. External motivation FTL

23. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

everyone knows there is such a thing as overtraining. that applies to everyone, there is a specific ammount of work that your body can accomodate and recover from. Thats not what we are talking about.

I'd like to think that I workout as close to ronnie coleman as i am physically or mentally able. You don't get where you want to be dropping the weights and saying "no point in pushing myself, im no ronnie coleman"

A woman still has to give every rep 100% of what she, as a woman, is capable of to get any real benefit.

volume is debateable till the end of time, rep schemes, routines, whatever.. all of these things are debateable.

intensity is not. give it your all or leave the equipment free for someone who isn't wasting time flapping their arms around with a 3 pound dumbbell trying to get "toned".

24. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

:rofl: good luck with that

25. cls

Okay, so given equal intensity, should a guy and a girl train with the same amount of volume?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.