I need skin-oil-proof spraypaint that adheres to ABS.

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by deusexaethera, Feb 10, 2007.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

This isn't strictly a car-related thread, but if anybody knows about painting ABS plastic, it should be you guys, right?

I have an old Logitech trackball. It's irreplaceable, the new model is much less comfortable than the one I have. The paint is wearing off and I'd like to repaint it so my hand doesn't sweat when it touches the smooth, bare plastic. Obviously, the paint needs to be immune to skin oil and won't rub off under light pressure. I would like it to have a flat, possibly slightly-rubberized finish (like the wristpads on laptop computers) -- gloss would defeat the purpose of painting it, since I could just use it as-is if I wanted a shiny surface. As previously stated, the body of the trackball is #7, PC-ABS plastic.

How should I prep it?
    What kind of paint should I use?
    How do I seal the paint after it cures?

Thanks.

2. Mikael

Mikael OT Supporter

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It's not a mouse, it's a trackball. If I had a wireless mouse and it wore out, I'd go buy a new one, but it's harder than hell to get a wireless trackball that's designed well enough to work. (case in point: the trackballs designed to be thumb-operated? They're all pieces of shit.) So since I have a good one, I want to keep it.

Thanks for the tip.