I need recommendations for a "God Box" computer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Soren, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

My friends is heavyily into day trading stocks and computer gaming. He just landed a windfall and wants to upgrade his computer to the best possible.

Right now he's looking at getting a 30" Dell LCD with 2 20" dell LCDS on the side (turned sideways to line up with the 30") and 2 24" Dell LCDS on top of those monitors.

To power the monitors, he's looking at getting 2 8800 GTX's and 1 dual display card. The GTX's will be in SLI config to power any games he plays on the 30" at 2560x1600.

He's also looking at getting 2x2gb dual channel ram but doesn't know what type to get for maximum performance. He also wants to get a Q6600 core with top-of-the-line heatsink for maximum OCing. He's heavily into OCing his computer so any recc's should be based on that fact.

Basically he want to make sure he can display all his data on 5 different screens seamlessly without any lag in performance and be able to play any top of the line game at maximum performance on his 30".

Will he have any troubles and is there any recommendations you guys can make? Right now the only thing I can think of as the bottleneck would be his HDDs. He wants to buy 2 320gb 7200.10 WD hard drives and run them in RAID 0 config.

Oh and also, he will be using Vista 64bit to take advantage of all that ram.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

1. He doesn't need five screens. One is necessary, two is good, three is better. Beyond that you might as well just wear VR goggles because you can't see them all at once.

2. Unless your friend really knows what he's doing, he'll get little if any performance boost from overclocking -- aside from bigger numbers, which may impress his stockbroker instinct but will be about as useful as neon case lighting. The RAM/FSB/CPU speeds have to align, and if you can't get them to do that, it will cause huge delays in transferring data between those components. Besides, all the good CPUs nowadays have the Northbridge chip integrated into them, so there's one less thing to have to worry about controlling the speed of.

3. And finally, your friend can't be nearly as savvy as he thinks he is if he wants to run a RAID0. RAIDs degrade on a regular basis, and a RAID0 has NO capacity to regenerate the lost data. At the VERY least, he'll need three drives in either a RAID3 or a RAID5. (The difference between the two is that RAID3 improves read speed and penalizes write speed a little, whereas RAID5 doesn't.)

EDIT: If he wants the absolute balls-out best performance, throw in a GigaRAM card with 4GB of RAM on it, and use it as the bootup drive. Just keep a Ghost image of the installation on the RAID so he can restore it if his computer loses power for more than 12 hours.

3. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

He knows he can't see all the information at once. However, he believes that he needs to be kept up to date on information every second and that by having webpages open and various data floating around in the peripheral monitors, he can refer to them without having to delay in finding the information or flipping through windows.

He wanted to do RAID 0 just because of the speed boost. Is it really as bad as you say it is? Do you need at least 3 HDDS for RAID 5?

As for OC, he enjoys doing it and as long as it doesnt harm the computer (he'll make sure it stays under a certain temp all the time), I don't see the harm.

4. JaJae

JaJae New Member

I have a 22" monitor at work. You can easily run two webpages side by side and even in a quad setup in a pinch. I don't think he'll need all those monitors. If he's going to be looking to run two 8800GTXs he should look into some top of the line power supplies, or two. And if he intends to overclock a quad core he's gonna want to go water cooling. If he cares that much about performance he should be looking into 10k rpm drives like a Raptor or a SCSI controller and running some SCSI drives.

Two 8800GTXs is gonna make a lot of heat as well. He's gonna have to combat that problem.

5. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

Honestly I sort of doubt he needs that many monitors as well, but whatever makes him happy. He has enough money not to care about spending $600 on 2 more monitors. And if it makes him artificially more confident about trading, then so be it.

Right now he has his eyes set on the Corsair 520W PS. Is that enough? Also, he's looking at a very ventilated tower and Tuniq Tower heatsink to cool his setup. Would this suffice? He says noise doesnt much matter to him.

As for SCSI, he may get that.

6. fixthe fernback

fixthe fernback New Member

I doubt that would be enough for two 8800's

7. deusexaethera

Failure risk of RAID0 = Failure risk of single disk * number of disks in RAID0

Failure risk of RAID3/5 = Failure risk of single disk * Risk of second disk failing before first can be replaced.

Also, RAID3/5 is not noticeably slower than RAID0, and it's still much faster than a single disk. And yes, you need at least three.

8. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

can you do raid 5 with 1 raptor and 2 7200 rpm drives?

9. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

No 520 will not be enough at all.

Go with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703007

10. thebox

thebox New Member

edit: i don't know how the SLI with a separate card for dual will get along, a i know some people have trouble with this

11. thebox

thebox New Member

12. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

13. thebox

thebox New Member

14. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

15. deusexaethera

All drives in a RAID must be identical.

I have three Raptors connected to a RAID controller and installed in a hot-swap box. It cost me $700 to do that, but they run nice and fast. I'd consider a similar setup to be an integral part of any "God Box".

16. deusexaethera

Look for a PSU with a 120mm fan on the underside instead of an 80mm fan on the back. They're always quieter.

Suggestion:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151031

Seasonic's modular cable setup is the only one that doesn't suck.