I need more memory

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 20Deep, Jul 28, 2004.

1. 20Deep

20Deep You never with Wenger

I have a Dell 8200 from a couple years ago, it has 512mb of RDRAM. I want to upgrade to 1gb. Does anyone have any advice? Brands, specs, etc? Also, would it be easy to upgrade the graphics card? If so which is really good? (I play alot of games and have noticed alot of slow down recently) Right now I have the GeForce Ti 4600 so I want something that would be a vast improvement over that. Thanks for all the help.

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Damn, RDRAM, seriously, for the cost of a gig of RD you'd be able to score a new mobo and cpu with some ddr for about the same. For cheap ram, your best bet would be ebay as most manufacturers have stopped making it.
    Video, I'd go with a Radeon X800.

3. madriver

madriver so yea. . .

Agreed. . . I upgraded a Dell 8200 awhile back and it was not cheap. Also know that they have to be installed in pairs.

4. 20Deep

They stopped making RDRAM? Also, where could I find # of pins I need and what exactly is ECC? Is Kingston my best bet? Thanks for the help.

5. 20Deep

Also, is the XT not worth the difference?

6. madriver

madriver so yea. . .

Only a few companies produce RDRAM. Dell does sell it as an upgrade at their site and PC Connection www.pcconnection.com also sells it.

7. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

There are still a few companies making RDRAM, but the quantities are limited which means the prices are high. If your motherboard has four slots for RAM, and only two of them are full, then you could add two more 256 MB sticks of 184 pin RDRAM for ~$200. If you have to bu two stick of 512 MB, then it will probably cost you upwards of $400.
    In other words, I agree that a system upgrade would probably be better than a RAM upgrade. As for video cards, the X800 is a big pill to swallow for most people. Maybe a Radeon 9800 or 9600 XT would be a better fit?

8. 20Deep

Thanks for the help, I may just start pricing a new system all together instead of upgrading this one. Also, is the DDR better than the RDRAM? Its just a supply and demand thing? Thanks. :hs:

9. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

I agree. I upgraded from a ti4200 to an x800xt pe and I ended up upgrading the rest of my system since everything else ended up being a bottle neck.

I'd recommend a 9800 over the x800 if you're gonna upgrade your gpu only

10. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

Better?
    There are good and bad about both types of RAM. There are specific licensing issues associated with RDRAM that made it more expensive to produce, so fewer companies were producing it, so the price stayed high.
    I think it is higher now than it was during the height of RDRAM use, but that is more due to supply and demand.
    New chipsets for the P4 should be available soon that will use the faster DDR2 RAM, but that requires more $$$ because the technology is newer.
    One of the main arguments for RDRAM over DDR was its speed scalabilty, but now that DDR has won the battle, moeny will go into technology development and the DDR2 appears to be very scalable.

11. 20Deep

OK. Strike the original topic. I'm just gonna start a new system. I'm going to use some of the parts out of my Dell, so I don't need everything. Ok, I'll start with what I have. I have 2 hard drives I want to keep using, a sound card, network card, DVD+DVD-R drives, floppy, USB card, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and other accesories. So I gather that I will need a new case, mobo, cpu, memory, and graphics card, am I missing anything? Will this work and what is the best I could get for around ~$800. I know that I want at least 1 GB of RAM and a 256MB graphics card, other than that its free game. Thanks in advance.

12. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

since you already have all that other stuff, you could build a pretty kick ass machine for $800.

I have an Asus SK8N with an Opteron processor that has been running great since September.

The only problem I've had with it was bluescreening caused by the Audigy sound card, that is no longer in the machine (and the machine is no longer blue screening).

Even though your drives are probably IDE, look for a board with SATA for future use (much faster than IDE).

13. 20Deep

sounds good, do you think you could give some specific items that you think will work well? Exact CPU's? Graphics cards? Thanks for all the help, all the different numbers associated with each product are giving me a headache :hs:

14. 20Deep

15. 20Deep

What about the Asus K8N-E Deluxe? Heard anything about it? I was thinking Athlon 64, so that may be a better route than the Sk8N with the Opteron, but i dont really know. :dunno:

16. maczter

17. 20Deep

Thanks alot for the help, I'll look into those! :bigthumb:

18. maczter

No problem. Hope that works for you. Took a while to look through all the current stuff. :)