I need honest opinions about mods for my Cobra

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by oogaboogaboo, Jun 29, 2005.

1. oogaboogaboo

oogaboogaboo Guest

I have a '99 Mustang Cobra and I would like to throw some mods on it for fun. What I had in mind are first to change the gears (like 4:10s), and exhaust, possibly a chip, etc. My first question is what gear ratio is the best for this car, and what type/brand of exhaust would be the best? I have had this car for 2 years and I am in college, but this summer I will actually make some cash to fix up my car. I just need advice becuase I have never done this before, I am a car enthusiast without much experiece. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Imyourzero

Imyourzero OT Supporter

I would definitely do gears and exhaust, but would probably save the chip for later (for a couple of reasons). Gears: 4.10s are generally considered the "minimum" for Cobras of that generation. Some Cobra owners prefer 4.30s, but be aware you'll be shifting even more often and your fuel economy will decrease even more. I can tell you from first-hand experience that if you do a lot of driving around town, shifting that much can get a bit annoying after a few months of having the gears installed.

As far as exhaust, how far do you want to go with it? Do you want to replace the stock midpipe with an offroad H or X pipe? Do you want a different catback? Or do you want to redo the entire exhaust including the headers? LT headers will make a noticeable difference, but I hear they are a bitch to install on the 4.6L engines. They are also pretty pricey, but now that I've had LTs I'm not sure I could go back to shorties. At the very minimum, I'd at LEAST replace the midpipe with an offroad X (Bassani, Dr. Gas, Magnaflow) or a ProChamber and go from there. That'll give you a bit more power and a big change in the exhaust note.

Looking back, if I were you I'd just save up for a supercharger and be done with it. That is, if you're looking to make some real power. If you just want to perk the car up a bit, gears and exhaust should be a great start.

3. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

weight loss = free horsepower.

light makes right.

Next, learn how to drive it the right way. There are schools all around the country that will teach you performance driving. Right now, if you aren't capable of driving at your cars limits all the time, throwing money into power adders won't help much.
    Most of the time, the driver is the limiting factor.

OR

just buy the exhaust with the biggest marketing campaign and the most popular chip....I'm sure you'l be fast then.

If you must dump money into the car, do the suspension and tires first. You will gain so much more from a good performance suspension than from new pipes. Some subframe ties would help stiffen things as well.
    Good quality tires will give you a chance to actually put the power you have to use.

4. My84Z

My84Z New Member

I would go with some 4:30's, air intake, then full exhaust. If your planning on going a forced induction route like nitrous or supercharger get some 3:73's

5. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

:werd: like the guy i know with his 600hp cobra that runs like a [email protected]

6. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

any pics of the car? i'm a sucker for cobras

7. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

8. RICKIEFRAT

RICKIEFRAT La Cosa Nostra

Join .... www.svtperformance.com and search. Ask around, and they will help.

There is ALOT of mods to do !!!! Even on a school budget. :coolugh:

9. CJPA

CJPA New Member

"DUDE!!! I just dump the clutch at 6000rpm and it goes fast!"

10. AcidAngel_5.0

AcidAngel_5.0 Pure 0wnage

yea, i did a H/C/I setup when i was in college,
    id thrown on gears and open up the exhuast and throw on an intake..
    as far as gearing goes, that all depends on your future mods like already stated..
    any kinda boost.. 3.73, if your gonna stay NA then 4.10

11. liquidlove

liquidlove OT Supporter

i know alot of mods for the 03's but not very good with any other year cobras. mangg 03's are soo sesky.

12. 1BADLT1

1BADLT1 New Member

From what i hear modular motors love gear, so put 4.10s in it then get an intake and exaust then get the computer tuned my buddy is putting down like 313 hp to the wheels with that set up.

13. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

I know what would make your Cobra a lot faster.

put a "For Sale" sign on it and buy an F-body.

then, realize that F-Bodies are slow and buy a motorcycle.