A&P I need help with the Nikon Coolpix 4500....

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by HPS, Jun 12, 2004.

1. HPS

HPS I'm not fat, I'm poofy... :fawk:

I need a fast shutter. Even on 'auto' or 'sports', I tend to get blurs if I move at all! While I am having fun learning all the settings over time, I need to be able to point and shoot with worry of blur all the time... Anyone have any idea's? The Canon S10 was perfect (for the most part) with no-blur point and shoot, but I know this camera in far better and should be capable of this...

Help please... :hs:

2. brembo

brembo New Member

Try using Shutter Priority mode ('S' I think) and set it to a fast shutter speed. The camera will adjust the aperture to suit the surrounding light.

3. HPS

When I set it fast, like 1/1000 or 1/2000, it's doesn't get enough light and is black. To get it right you have to constantly adjust. I am hoping there is a setting where I can just hit that mode to point and shoot without adjusting. Auto is a shutter of like 1/60, so it's blurred without a tripod... :sad2:

Thanks btw :wavey:

4. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

Go with a higher ISO.

5. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

do you absolutely need to shoot at such high shutter speeds? if not, turn it down a bit... i rarely shoot anything faster than 250:dunno:

6. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

what kind of lighting are you taking your pics at?

7. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

You need to learn how to use a camera. :o That's how exposure works; you tweak the shutter and aperture.

It sounds like you're taking pics of something dark (because the camera is blurring in auto mode). If you can increase the lighting of the subject, I'd increase the ISO so you can get a reasonable shutter. Also, lower the f/stop (set it to f2.8 if possible).

8. HPS

What is the F/Stop?

9. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

F/stop is the size of the opening in your lens (aperture). The smaller the f/stop number, the larger the opening. So f/2.8 is a larger opening than f/8.0. Naturally as a result, the smaller the f/stop value, the larger the opening, and the more light that gets in. Conversely, the smaller the hole, the longer the shutter speed you have to use to compensate for the lack of light.

Thus, in your case. Since auto mode is blurring out (hand held), that means your subject is probably poorly lighted. One of the things you can do is make the aperture wider by choosing the lowest f/stop possible.