SRS I need help with some paperwork

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RyRy, Nov 9, 2006.

1. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

that I am filling out for the counseling and psychological center here at school. :hs: I'm finally taking the big step and asking for help. However I need some opinions on how to fill this last question that I am having issues with. The question is "Have you ever had an unwanted sexual experience?" And while yes I have, they occured when I was younger in say 3rd or 4th grade. While this could possibly be one of the reasons why I prefer men, it could also have nothing to due with it. How should I answer this?

2. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Thats prolly gonna be something you wanna bring up in therapy after you get comfortable with the therapist. Its not like you will get in trouble either way, though personally I wouldn't wanna write something like that going in because then the therapist may automatically project certain things onto you, especially considering the therapists there will probably be young and fairly inexperienced.

On the other hand, if the counseling center is really busy, they will probably give higher priority to people with more serious issues such as sexual/physical abuse and those prone to suicide. So I donno.

I donno what decides people's sexual orientation. But if you've had really bad experiences as a kid I can see how that might make you more likely to lean one way or the other.

3. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

Well I selected No, I will bring it up later if I feel the need to.

4. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

:) goodluck man! Hope you get the help your looking for, and keep us updated on the progress!

5. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

answer honestly; it may matter if you have some sort of post-traumatic stress syndrome.

Most doc's will be ok w/ the fact you're gay and won't bring up the 'oh you were raped by a guy so that means you'll now be gay' sort of thing, unless they're nuts themselves. homosexualty is no longer considered a mental disorder (truth is, it used to appear in the DSM books until the 70s..)

If you have nightmares of being raped or whatever, it'll make a difference. The counselor at school reviewing the paperwork you're filling out may ask about it as well, but if it's something that's firmly 'behind you' make sure that they're clear on that... and that it's not the reason you're depressed or whatever.

take care bro.. good luck.

6. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

No I really don't know why I can't sleep anymore. Up until last week for the last couple of weeks it seemed like all I did was sleep, now it's the opposite. I went from sleeping pretty much 8+ hours at night to now I'm lucky if I am asleep before 4am. Which really sucks because I have like 3 weeks left in this semester and it's screwing my grades over hardcore.

7. johan

johan Active Member

Even though you answered no, its quite clear you remember this and have not released this experience. Like it or not, it affects you.

It only harms you when you enter therapy and seek to shield the truth.

Eventually the therapist will unravel the situation, assuming you stick with it, but it just takes longer and that will DEFINITELY feel more frustrating to you.

You should bring it up. Isn't that why you're in therapy? To finally unload all that shitty baggage you've been carrying around? And this is a HUGE issue.

You know this to be all too true.

8. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

I had my first sesson on Friday, and I wasn't all that impressed. My friend had the same lady for her and says she's great. hmmm...

9. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

What were you expecting out of the session?

10. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

keep in mind, different people will have different levels of fit/connection with the same person.

Don't be afraid to try out some different people. The goal is to get with someone that you have a good fit and connection with. Maybe you would do better with a male counselor?

11. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

good question actually.

That determines everyone's counseling experience.