I need help with my Yamaha 6.1 surround sound system!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ea2oo1, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Ea2oo1

Ea2oo1 New Member

Ok so I have had this system for about a year and it has been doing very good but recently I got a Samsung HDMI dvd player for me LCD tv and It came with DTS and Dolby digital surround featurs. I have noticed when I use the Dobly Digital feature that sounds cut out....for example in Chronicles of Narnia when Mr. Tumnus is playing his flute to hypnotize lucy he starts to play it and all of the sudden the flute just fades out and i can hear everything but the flute. It really wierd cuz I can hear the ecco of the flute from my surround speakers but not from my front ones and it looks really weird when it pans over to him playing it and you don't hear it.. it is just really anouying the hell out of me do you guys have any guesses as to why this is happening?? I have tried everything and can't figure it out. O and when i switch off the Dolby Digital feature and just use PCM it works fine and I can hear everything it just doesn't sound as good. Any adivce would help alot :bowdown: Thank you so much guys

2. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Are you using a Digital Coax cable or an Optical Cable? If using optical you want to use PCM, but if you're using a Dig Coax, you need to use Dolby Digital. (Pretty sure it's this way...someone correct me if I'm wrong)

3. Ea2oo1

Ea2oo1 New Member

I'm using the Optical Cable...but doesn't the PCM sound worse then the Dobly or the DTS settings??

4. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

for optical cable, look for "bitstream" when choosing an output method. I know my DVD player has options for PCM or for bitstream