I need help with my transmission

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by EB, Jul 24, 2007.

1. EB

EB 2/24/08

I need ideas/halp please!!

It is an '82 Silverado C10 with a 400 transmission. I rarely use the truck except in the winter and when I need to move something big. Well I need to move this week and when I got the truck out, it stays stuck in DRIVE. I can move the shifter around, but it stays in gear. When I put it in Park it will keep the truck from moving but I can tell it is still in gear because I can hear the load on the engine.

Has anyone ever heard of a problem like this before?

I can't really check the fluid level since it needs to be in Park, and it is stuck in gear.

I did drive it around the block and it shifts, but only to 2nd gear. I don't know if it is stuck in second, or if I am not getting enough speed for it to shift to third.

Any ideas? Thanks :)

2. Docter Pepper

Docter Pepper OT Supporter

i had an '80 chevy. It wouldn't go into reverse. I would put it to R and wait a minute of two and then it would finally clunk into gear and work fine. The mechanic said it was the lower reverse clutch. I know it's not really your problem, but i figured it couldn't hurt. My solution was selling it :mamoru:

3. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

First place I'd check is the linkage under the truck, have a buddy move the shifter around while you see if the linkage to the trans is moving with it. Might have lost a bolt or need some adjustment.

4. EB

EB 2/24/08

linkage seems to be all there. What scares me that I can see it moving the deal on the side of tranny. i hope it isn;t something on the inside. I was about ready to sell this pile of shit and then this happens.

5. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

Is the linkage on the transmission moving completely from park down to 1st with the shifter? If so it must be something inside, but I've never seen one give there.

You said it will shift into 2nd gear, does it shift at the normal speed/RPM's or does it seem like it's revving a lot more than it should before a shift?

6. EB

EB 2/24/08

Yeap, i can move it all the way down to where first gear is. It seems to shift normally to second.

I am going to try and make it limp to my parents house and change te fluid and see if there is any crud in there keeping it from working. Does that sound like it would work?