SRS I need help with my nephew please

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RyRy, Jul 8, 2007.

?

What should I do

1. Take the whiskey away

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Talk to his father

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Both

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  4. Nothing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

I know it's long but I'm really trying to put as many details as possible without writing a novel. I'm really having a tough time deciding on what I should do. If you need to know more then this post a reply and I will answer as best as I can. Thank you in advance for the help.

So I come home last night after being gone for a week and decide :hay: I should hang out with the nephew... thank god I did. We were both depressed and by the time I got there he had already been drinking whiskey for 3 hours and its about 1230am. Well about an hour or so later his "friends" show up and tell him how this guy is talking shit about him and how he needs to go kick his ass yadda yadda yadda and get him to drink more and more. Well he starts getting violent at this point running down his street after this truck screaming obscenities at it and I have to go chase him down several times. He winds up starting to punch himself in the face (over a dozen times in all), punching the mailbox, garage, neighbors building, etc. He punched himself so hard I he had at least one black eye, and his right jaw was swollen like a mofo. So then they call this kid, and tell him to come over :ugh: So once he gets there they tell my nephew it's not the guy, but then once he's been there for a bit they tell him it's him so somehow I managed to stand in between them and tell this guy to leave. So for the next 2 hours it's nothing but them getting him drunker (after me asking them to leave, and they won't) and getting him more pissed off. My nephew literally blacked out in the middle of the street while I was trying to help him over to the swing in his backyard so he could lay down. What do his friends do? Laugh and go "he'll be ok in a few minutes leave him alone" :ugh: some friends! So finally his friends leave around 3 something his friends leave and I'm left to babyset him... finally around 5 I talk him into letting me carry him into the house. Well he decides he doesn't want me to carry him because he's not a baby and he just wants to lean on me. Everything was good until we got to his door. I asked him if he was good since it was all of 4 feet to his bed. He said yeah and I walked out of the house and heard a THUD, he couldn't figure out how to open the door so he just fell thru it apparently :o how his parents didn't wake up is beyond me since their rooms are right next to each other.

Now I am left with a dellima.... do I go over today and take the whiskey away, or talk to his dad, or both? Thanks for reading all of this I need help with my decision.

Edit: My nephew will turn 16 in 20 days, and is known for rounds of deep depression that mostly go untreated. I'm really worried about him but I don't want to ruin the bond we have, if he needs help, or pretty much anything he knows he can come to me. When I went thru all my shit 2 years ago he was there for me like nobody else was. Normally he's a happy drunk, but I've never seen him when he's drank whiskey like he did last night. No I did not supply him the alcohol his sisters boyfriend that we all despise did, but I was there when he did it.

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

This guy needs to be told and make understood that he needs to remove all the bad elements out of his life, the sooner he starts going into theraphy the better for him, he'll may hate you know for talking his father into sending him into theraphy but later on he'll thank you for giving a swing into the right direction in his life. Most surely both of these things have to happen.

Those things that he has aren't friends, they are just bad influence, whiskey is a bad influence, alcohol in general is a bad influence because he doesn't know how to deal with it.

Depression + Alcohol = Alcoholic slip, which means he's just going down a vicious circle downwards, will end up using drugs (if available) and turn his life into a shithole of misery and despair. What he needs is a helping hand that drags him out of the mess, and show him that he needs to go into the right direction in his life if he doesn't constantly want to feel miserable. Tell him that he can't live on like this, and that he should goto church,rehab, theraphy, he needs it all in order to recover from the omninous depression that he's currently suffering, he's in a much more bad shape and condition that you think off and needs to escape 'that world' or hell he currently is in.

He definitly needs a change in his state of mind.And you definitly need to get into action to drag your nephew out of this dark puddle of despair. But eventually leave it into the hands of professionals, because this is serious expertise that he needs in order to fix up his life, you can only go so far.

3. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

As long as he was being honest (and when he's drunk he's normally honest to the point of being brutal, or telling things he's not suppose to) he mentioned doing some drugs, I damn near fell over. His father has been a cop all of his life and has been the sheriff for the last 6 years or so. I realize he needs a change but I don't know how to change him. I'm also really nervous about talking to his parents as I know they are going to blow up at him, and most likely at me for letting him drink. He's at this stage trying to find himself and I want to help him as much as possible. He's even said that when I'm around he normally doesn't hang around his (I hate to use labels and generalize but I have to) "skanky" friends and ususally hangs around his "preppy" friends who don't get into as much trouble or use drugs. I know he was on an SSRI antidepressant earlier this year and he said he did better on it, and he has even mentioned wanting to go to the local psychiatric place a couple of times but he doesn't want to ask his parents because he's worried about it affecting his dad's chances for re-election. As I'm thinking of what to "say" here I'm thinking I need to just write a book about their family and make millions :rofl: