I need help with buying a new computer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SonnyG007, Feb 23, 2003.

1. SonnyG007

SonnyG007 Guest

Ok so I'm planning on getting a new computer with my tax refund. But I need help finding the cheapest place with the best quality parts to get it. I don't need a monitor because the one I have works fine. Same with printer, mouse, keyboard, etc. I really just need the main tower with everything in it. The basics that I need is:

P4 2.4ghz
    512 RAM
    CD-RW
    at least 4 usb ports

This is like the basic of what I need, anything extra or better like a DVD is just optional. Someone told me to check out pricewatch.com It showed me I could get the P4 2.4 with 512 Ram for like $350.

But all of those just linked me to a html computer builder, where you add on the parts you need and it shows you the cost. The problem is I don't know half the shit thats on it. I don't know that much about computors and I can't tell the difference from the different motherboards, Ram, cooling, whatever.

So if anyone could show me a good place to get this kind of computer for cheap but thats not going to blow up because the parts are crap and also what kinds of parts I'll need.

Thanks alot for any help.

2. MP

MP New Member

3. dm33186

dm33186 Guest

wait for march to get teh 2.4p4 - neweeg is doing a special of like 169 or soemthing like that in march on the 2.4 p4 and it has been confirmed

4. MP

MP New Member

5. SonnyG007

SonnyG007 Guest

Thanks alot for that info. Going to really help me. I'm getting around $500 on the tax return and I have another $300 I'm willing to take out of savings so it should be enough to get the computer. Thanks again for the newegg and googlegear links.

Edit: Ohh one last thing. At that newegg site, does the company put all the parts together or do they ship it seperately and I'll have to assemble it at home? And if I have to make it myself what are some good links with guides to help me out. Thanks.

6. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

If you want to learn about what is available, I would check out Anandtech.com and look for their weekly price comparisons. The most recent one this week has motherboards and video cards and there is a new hotlink to the reviews of the products they have listed on the page. Just click on the fancy A to the right of the description. It might seem overwhelming at first because there will be so much new information, but if you take your time and get used to the terminology, it will all begin to make sense. They also give you suggestions as to what to buy, so that's cool as well.

7. eviltommy

eviltommy Guest

remember to check resellerratings.com to make sure you arent buying from a bad vendor. but honestly, you should probably look into that dell deal going on for $450 after rebate, just buy some ram from a place like newegg or googlegear and pop it in (installing ram is super easy) another thing with dell is that if anything blows up, theyll fix it for you. unless you know what you are doing, dont try to build one yourself, it will turn out more painful and costly.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=40&threadid=984021&highlight_key=y&keyword1=dell