I need help with basketball conditioning.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by hootpie, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hootpie

hootpie New Member

So basketball season is a couple months away (community league) and I need to start conditioning. For the past 2 months, minus the last 2 weeks that I was out with the stomach flu/cold, I've been simply lifting weights for strength. Now that basketball season is around the corner, I need to start playing a lot more to get back in the groove.

My main question is how should I work playing basketball in with lifting weights? I've heard everything from "play for an hour, lift weights for an hour, then play another hour" to "play for an hour, then lift afterwards." What's the best way to go about this?

2. afterShock81

afterShock81 If I could only have one food for the rest of my l

personally, If i was going to be playing basketball(ie full court pickup games) for a couple hours, I would lift on seperate days. On days that i did lift, I would shoot around after my workout; it would really help me loosen up my muscles....felt great!

3. fauxdiophile

fauxdiophile OT Supporter

:werd:

or if you're gonna do both, make sure to take some gatorade or something with you, have enough energy/electrolytes to get a proper workout in

4. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

Just shoot around and play some quick pickup games after you lift. When I first started lifting I couldn't get a stroke down for shit after I had lifted. I'd either try to toss the ball completely over the backboard or I'd come up way short.

Now I can shoot fairly well as long as I don't do legs that day. Just keep shooting and playing like you would in a game and you'll be fine.

5. deuceforty

deuceforty between rupture and rapture

coming from a college prospect, never shoot after you lift, it will absolutley destroy your shot... i dont understand why you dont just do what everyone else does to condition for basketball..... play basketball.... if you want to go extreme, jump rope and run, but if you have to lift, lift after you play, not before

6. hootpie

hootpie New Member

It makes sense not to shoot after I lift. I'll try to play basketball and lift on separate days, but my schedule is kind of tight. Otherwise, I'll play first, then lift later (I'll take an energy bar/gatorade with me). Thanks for the advice :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.