SRS I need help with anxeity and stress related to work, please anyone

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Paulie Walnuts, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

To give you a small background I work at a company where I have a huge responsibility as the account manager for our largest account. Im 30 years old and have the largest account in the damn company. I can do the job but the challenge is that I work at my clients location. Its just me alone with them. The closest member of my team for my company is 1000 miles away. Its me against them and they are not nice people.

Things have gotten so bad that I dread going to work and I have anexity levels that are causing mental breakdowns. I stayed in bed all day Saturday. Today I left the house for 1 hour and came back and have been in bed all day just thinking about going to work tomorrow. I am going to go to the Dr in the morning to talk about getting on something to help me but I know that is not the full answer I have to work out something as well.

Are there meds out there that help mellow out people so they arent always thinking about shit like this. Then I start to think about other things stupid shit that I have to do at home like laundry and cleaning up and just dumb shit that bogs me down and does not allow me to get any work done.

Im on a generic version of some antidepressant right now (name escapes me) but it isnt cutting it.

What the hell do I do and quitting is not an option and my company isnt going to do much to help me as this is a $120 million account. They tell me just do your job.

2. Jadix

Jadix The Nice Guy

find a new hobby. I wouldn't go to the doctor for meds. You cant take drugs to make yourself truly happier. They can make you feel good, but thats only temporary.

Staying in bed all day will probably only make you feel worse. It seems to me like you feel your life doesn't have any worth or your job is not fulfilling enough. Start thinking of a new job and make a plan to reach it. You need to take action in your life and make a change, you cant just go to the doctor for Ssiuavwmoi-perfecthappypill-norexia.

3. Vailripper

Vailripper Daywalkers have feelings too.

What kind of hours are you working? It sounds like you need to find some sort of release, maybe try working out or finding some new hobby to take your mind off work. If your company isn't willing to help at all you may want to consider moving to another company, accountants are always in demand.

4. ahhgrrvated

ahhgrrvated New Member

from what you described, medication will probably have some impact. but it takes a while to find the right one for you. most people go through at least three before they find it.

but the real issue here is obviously your job. no one should be asked to do anything that stressful, regardless of how much it pays.

try talking to your boss. explain how stressed you are. ask if if he or she would be open to doing something to help you out. like perhaps getting you an assistant.

you're obviously an important asset to the company if you have that much responsibility at such a young age. they're not going to risk losing you over this.

you don't have to go into details about meds. actually, you shouldn't. don't make it sound like you can't handle it. tell them you feel things aren't being handled as well as they could be with someone else on the account there with you.

5. 2500

2500 Guest

your not feeling that way because you are deprived that medication, so all it will do is mask the issue, make you not yourself, and possibly cause a dependancy. there are natural, safe ways to deal with what your going through and i think you should check out those before jumping into medication. yoga, CBT, hypnosis are all good ways to deal with anxiety, and lower your stress level. cut out caffeine totally, and talk a few short walks a day. you'd be surprised what you can do without medication.

6. ebbnflo

ebbnflo REAL- LAOT Hermit

I agree that it's a good idea that you are seeing your Dr.. Maybe an adjustment or change in meds will help some. I also agree that getting involved in something like Yoga, meditation, tai chi, or other form of physical activity like that, will be helpful to you as well.

Sometimes homeopathic remedies can help safely take the edge off.
    A couple that I like are [​IMG]
    and [​IMG]

I dunno if those pics show up (or if it is a major:nono: for me to share that kind of info) but, Hyland's Nerve Tonic, or Bach Rescue Remedy are 2 of the natural remedies that I personally use, usually to help keep me from flipping out during high times of stress. It doesn't resolve the issues, but it does at least help me to stay calm and handle things in a much better way.

Best wishes to you.

7. Paulie Walnuts

Well I went to the Dr this morning and we talked a lot about ways to deal with stress.

I was on Effexor for about 3 years and then had to get off it because the side affects were killing me (figuatively)

We decided that it would be best right now to supplement my Celxa (20 mg daily) with a low does of Welbutrin(sp?)

She stated that it takes a good 2 - 3 weeks to get it to kick in so gave me 30 caps of Xanax. I took one today but cant tell if its done anything I dont feel any different.

Guess we will have to see how things progress. I just know Im sick of meds.

8. Paulie Walnuts

Thanks I will look into those.

9. ebbnflo

I can relate to that. Took effexor for a good while, and it SUCKED, and I will never take it again. Had to go through a series of trial and error with other meds, and I am now on Welbutrin myself, and it seems to be helping, though it does take time to "kick in".
    I don't really know much about Xanax though.
    I really hope that it all starts to smooth over for you soon. I know it's rough trying to figure out what works and what doesn't.

10. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

I'm not so sure that medication is the cure.

Your problem is that you feel trapped. You say you can't leave the job, your employers will not help you, and your clients are full of shit.

First of all, just like with a relationship, you need to have some backbone in your relationship with your employer. If things have gotten to the point where work is affecting your heath, your employer has a duty to you to see to it that the situation is resolved. It's in their best interest that you are taken care of because it's much more expensive to train someone new if you leave, & quite simply, you would be a more productive employer if you were happy.

It DOES sound like you're of value to your company as they would not have put you on such a big client if they didn't trust you had the balls to stomach it.

I'm not saying to bitch and moan to your boss, but you need to walk up to them confidently and say "Hey, I'm trying my best and the situation is under control, but this is a difficult situation that's put a lot of unnecessary stress in my life...I'm interested to see if there's anything you can do to help before it gets any worse?"

If they can't help and your situation has deteriorated to the point you don't even want to get out of bed there should ALWAYS be the option to leave. Start looking now for another job. No job is worth affecting your health & happiness.

I left my cushy job where I had my own office with a view of the ocean because I was so stressed I was sitting behind my desk one day and I saw my hands shaking. That's when I made my decision that life wasn't worth getting that worked up just so that my employer would have a nice pay day to go golfing.

Once you've taken ACTION to either talk with your employer or to GTFO of your job, you've taken the first step towards pulling yourself out of this pit of depression. Don't just sit there and take it.

11. Paulie Walnuts

Well I know that the Celexa works and that its going to take time for the Welbutrin to kick in hence the Drs suggestion of the Xanax if I need it in the intrim. Thanks for your support you seem pretty cool in willing to add multiple posts for my situation. I truly appreciate that.

12. Paulie Walnuts

Well its funny that you mention this because I have talked to my company about this for going on 4 months now but it all of a sudden festered on Friday and I had a mental and physical breakdown this weekend.

I sat on the phone with my VP of sales who owns the account and literally cried. Nothing like being a bitch and crying on the phone. Thank God Mark is really cool and understands what I am going through.

They are going to put our client on a service that we offer that is a call center to aleviate some pressure on the client which in turn takes pressure off of me. They are also letting me hire a full time administrative assistant and we are interviewing this week.

The problem with my company is that we grew by leaps and bounds and did not grow the staff to accomodate. I think that after my meltdown Friday they are paying more attention I also have a new director to report to now as my old left and she is much more understanding than my old one. The other problem is that we have an approach of a one stop shop so everything goes through me being the account manger. Im more like a project manager and we have this action item list that has 91 items on it and I cant manage it alone and handle the day to day delegation of the tactical shit. Lets hope Im turning the corner and the medication will allow me to focus more with out the panic attacks which will help me get out from under the pile and then as we get things more in control I can reasses my situation.

I like the job I just dont like working in my clients office. I dont want to walk away because I am making good money now and I have a VP sales role just waiting for me in 5 years which would put me over 6 figures. I dont know to many 35 year olds making over $100k a year that graduated college with a sociology major.

Thanks for responding.

13. ebbnflo

No problem. :)

I hope it works out for you. I can relate to the stress, and emotional issues...not so much the carreer because what you do is just, beyond me. (take that as a compliment, please)LOL I am a stay home mom, and I homeschool, so, very different lives indeed, but I spent time in the workforce too, and can relate, anyway.
    I found myself mentally unable to cope with work many times back when I was working outside the home, and hell, I still have those days, but I just don't call in sick. LOL