A&P I need help with a font

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by wizeguy4, Sep 22, 2008.

1. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

because I am fucking clueless.

Here is what I am looking for. I want a font, that will work well with web and also various mediums of print, such as card stock and material like canvas. I want a font that is not overly square but not super narrow. I prefer more towards narrow than square though. The lines will be straight with no curly shit on the ends. I prefer G and J's to have a limited hook

additionally to my requirements, I am going to edit my original post with 2 more details - I want both a lowercase and uppercase variation of each letter and I want the width of the line making the letter to be uniform, not any thick or thin spots.

Fonts that I have looked at and like so far are

Cyan Sans
    http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/wilton/cyan-sans/
    although I kinda wish the captial R round part actually came in and touched teh vertical.

Lightbox
    http://www.myfonts.com/search?search[text]=lightbox
    but I really really hate teh Capital R here also. And it is the only letter I hate

Litera
    http://www.myfonts.com/search?search[text]=litera
    but same problem as Cyan Sans

Lightline Gothic
    http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/ef/lightline-gothic/
    so far this is my favorite

Noovo
    http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/itc/noovo/
    I like this also but I fear some of the letter may not be as "readable" as aI would like. Things that are round are more pointy

I am also keeping Futura Condensed in mind

The reason for my bitching about the R is cause my last name begins with R so it will be a prominent letter.

Any comments or additions I should look at

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  2. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

I've read about Futura being pretty nice.

3. themolsen

themolsen New Member

futura (needs to be kerned a lot), century gothic (very similar to Futura), myriad pro (used by Apple recently for most of its marketing) - my fav. sans , plus futura and myriad come in condensed varieties.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  4. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

hmm - futura light condensed seems quite nice

when you say "my fav. sans" - what is sans mean?

Also - I looked up "kearning" and although I now know the definition, I have no idea what it means in engrich. care to explain? and is this something I need to know? I plan on hiring a company to do any printwork for me, with the exception of possibly letterhead

5. ¤

¤ New Member

When you say you want a certain font to "work for web", keep in mind that if people do not have that particular font installed on their computers, they will not see that font if you try to use it for regular html text.

It will default to a standard system font like Times New Roman, if an alternate font isn't specified in the code for your website.

6. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

Any of the Adrian Frutiger fonts.

7. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

never thought of this - so I would think that I should fit my font into something popular if I will be wanting my faont to be viewable. Is futura something that is considered a standard font?

8. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

use the font you like for you logo since you'll be loading that as a jpg/gif/png anyways.

make sure the font you use for the text on a website is a standard basic font that comes prepackaged with windows and os x, or at least use one of those as a backup if the person viewing your site doesn't have the first one installed.

9. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

why? most of the fonts I find by him are not appealing to me

for instance - many of the fonts if you look at the letter V in either capital or lower case, there are small horizontal lines at the tops of both lines that make teh V. I dont want those kind of lettercaps (not sure what else to call them). This same cap is on the base of many vertical letters that are not connected to another line

this leaves me with Avenir, Frutiger, Univers, and Vectora. Vectora is the only one of the bunch that I even kinda like.

additionally to my requirements, I am going to edit my original post with 2 more details - I want both a lowercase and uppercase variation of each letter and I want the width of the line making the letter to be uniform, not any thick or thin spots.

10. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

hee hee - I just educated myself and learned the things I am describing in my second paragraph above are serifs that I do not want.

go meee

11. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

12. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

buying fonts :greddy:

13. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

did you read the word "buy" anywhere? those links are for reference only;)

14. themolsen

themolsen New Member

sans serif. serifs are the little decorative dohickees on the ends of letters in fonts like Times New Roman or Georgia. sans serif fonts are *sans* (without) the *serifs*

i'm sorry, I spelled it wrong. it's 'kerning.' kerning: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerning

it's basically adjusting the space between letters. I say Futura needs to be kerned because its letters are normally pretty spaced out by default. generally, words are easier to read when the letters are spaced properly and proportionately. see http://www.fonts.com/aboutfonts/articles/fyti/spacingkerning1.htm

if it's for print, kerning is very easy in most decent applications. for Web, you have to use a CSS declaration.

keep in mind that most people don't have Futura on the computer so it won't show up for most people on the Web.