I need help revamping my social life. [long]

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by skitcy, Feb 19, 2007.

1. skitcy

skitcy uhm title! ok

Alright first off, there's no bad advice for this thread. I want everyone to bash shit talk and say everything they feel is necessary. If all goes well I'm going to keep a progress report of this thread or perhaps on my blog in a seperate hidden section :noes:. I'll explain myself, physically and socially. And then what I'd like to accomplish over the course of a few years

[:: PHYSICALLY ::]
    I'm 20 years old. About 5'5.5", weigh in around 110-115lbs. I wear glasses, have braces until Aug 08 and have lighter hair. I've included 2 very different pictures of what I look like. I have mild acne but with correct/consistent treatment I can phase it out near completely. [Picture 1] [Picture 2] these three pictures are all taken in 2006

[:: SOCIALLY ::]
    I've finished college and just recently moved to seattle washington to start my first career level job. Money is not an issue as far as changing lifestyle. *to an extent*. So no $4000 surgery proceedures please. I'm willing to try a lot and experiment.

I have absolutely no-friends here. I am to blame sort of for this, I have a hard time getting motivated to actually go out on my own ( introverted for the lose ). Everyone at work has at-least 4-5 years on me with the exception of one other guy who is closer in age but tend to get an impression he is absolutely no better off than me.

I don't drink or do drugs. I have drank a lot in my past, I don't mind having a little every once in a long while but I absofuckinglutly hate being smashed or stoned.

[:: SOCIALLY PAST ::]
    As far as socially in my past goes I was fairly active socially in college and had lots of fun ( was in canada ). I've never dated a single girl although I have come close. I've never kissed a girl without being fully intoxicated.

[:: GOALS ::]
    Some goals I would like to accomplish these are in no way static or necessary or really hardened
    - Get a social circle
    - Get a few good friends in the seattle area
    - Feel more comfortable talking to everyone, women and men
    - Get a date, multiple dates and just in general a little bit more success in this area of the field

I've come to OT before, but have always held back on doing shit because of school/work/unknown future. I know ( well hope ) that I will be in seattle for ATLEAST all of 2007 and with the additional help of a job now I'd like to do something for once.

Any help / tips / starters will be much appreciated, I plan on improving and doing some practice of stuff starting this week. This thread will be ongoing unless it becomes a flame fest.

[ CLIFF NOTES ] => read sections and comment on what you want, there's no way to really sum this up.

Thanks ot!! and I need to buy a sub.:p

EDIT: People are not reading this, I AM NOT OLD ENOUGH in the United States to legally drink Alcohol Not to bash but posts regarding going to a bar etc.. arn't even remotely helpful as I cannot even try to do so, but thank you for the effort :)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  2. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

I think you know what you need to do :)

Seriously though, you need to make an effort. Chances are if you don't get out there you won't make any friends. Alcohol is called "social lubricant" for a reason - have a couple of beers and get amongst it.

3. skitcy

skitcy uhm title! ok

I know this :), must remember however currently this is an illegal activity thanks to prudent shitty america. I'm 20 and full time career so those college parties arn't option either.

I sometimes regret finishing so early, and partially not getting a job where I went to college ( I still know lots of people in canada ).

Anyways obvioulsy yes I need to get out and such, but do people have an suggestions ideas of what young adults can do before we're 21? I know alcohol isn't everything but most anyone I meet outside of a bar etc... guys or not will be 21+ and be going out for happy hours here and there. ( I've already encountered this )

4. skitcy

skitcy uhm title! ok

In college and what I enjoy doing anything outdoors, I'm originally from montana so biking ( mountain&city ), snowboarding, camping hiking, I crave the beaches and am going to be surfing a little bit this summer with a co-worker who claims there is decent surf near seattle. I'll be getting a bike and such. I enjoy just hanging out too and having a little mini party or what not socializing, reading. I also do a lot of personal digital artwork and portfolio stuff as well.

Seattle is awesome, my co worker showed me around downtown ballard and it's sweet and stuff but it seems kind of lonely to go out by yourself and haha at this point I don't think I could just do that and meet people on fly ( shyness for the lose ). he's invited me to meet all his friends and such but they are quite out of my age range by 10+ years and while they were cool we it didn't seem to mesh well. Granted I knew nobody there and they all knew eachother.

EDIT: Forgot about the job. I work downtown ( live in Ballard ) at a medium sized Flash studio we do mostly kid's content websites and online flash games. I myself am a programmer but also do my own personal design. It's an absolute blast and everyone in the studio really is awesome, work life wise I couldn't ever ask for better.

Anyways maybe that helps?

5. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

sign up for something.. whatever you like to do. if you like cars, go to the autox's and find out where you local lot is. sign up for martial arts classes. you are still college age, so if you have any interest try auditing some fun classes at a local college... this is all the little stuff though

I definitely would say a welcome to seatle OT meet would be a good idea.

6. skitcy

skitcy uhm title! ok

yeah I think the college classes are probably a huge thing I might end up doing. We get an education expense from work :p, and if I just did say a photography class or something it would rock. I was thinking a sound design class as well since it's one thing I've always wanted to know better. I'm also probably going to cliche it and pickup a guitar and start taking lessons for it as well.

7. sochbat

sochbat New Member

I'd say find what really drives you, or catches your interests, and head that way, whether its literature, head to a poetry citing, arts, whatever floats your boat, solong as you get out there, and spread yourself around.

Borders = great place to meet new people

8. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

Just go to a Bar/Grill. Sit at the bar.

Kinda chit chat with the bartender(girl/guy) doesn't matter.

Tell them a little about yoursituation. Not a lot(they will get bored).

Try to get a number or find a hot spot in the area to hang out.

Pick a good night to go and then do so!

If you have to have one or two drinks to get your sonfidence up to go talk to a group of people then do so.

It doesn't hurt to have a couple!

Good luck and keep us posted on how things go.

Thats a good idea as well.

A couple to take into consideration.

9. mbshoem

mbshoem Member

I know about getting done with school early I'm 24 and this is my last year of Medical School so I'm young too.

10. skitcy

skitcy uhm title! ok

24 isn't too bad though, for med school yes maybe but average university people are normally done 23/24ish. I've undershot that by 3-4 years and hence it's kind of hampered social development from it a bit.

11. mbshoem

mbshoem Member

Just see how people at work are and hang with them a little bit. And always talk to people the more people you talk to the better your chances. And even more so when you looking for a date. It is a numbers game. The first two years of med school were horrible because I had no time do meet anyone. But when I started my 3rd yr I started my clinical rotations I was intoduced to many people and things just fell into place. I now have a girlfriend of 1 1/2 years.