I need HELP Exhaust Question

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by omegafallout, Sep 26, 2005.

1. omegafallout

omegafallout Oh Sh*T Was That Me???

Does backpressure have anything to do with shifting/and the computer?

Lets say my stock muffler was bad so i put a flowmaster on then they said the resonater was bad so they straight piped it.

Now cars shifting a bit funny. I was given advice to reset computer because it was used to the stock setup.. but its like i hit the gas and it goes.. but its almost like it lets all the exhaust out so quick so when i hit the gas again it needs to catch back up . I dunno its hard to explain i just wondered if adding a more free flowing exhaust can mess with the computer

2. tropic of carnage

tropic of carnage New Member

yes i think so. and it'll mess wiht your o2 sensor also

3. thekid

thekid New Member

naturally aspirated cars do like to have some back pressure to a certain extent... however, unless you already had an upgraded exhaust i doubt a flowmaster would make that much difference... lots of people upgrade the diamater of the piping and put in hi-flow cats without any problems....

a resonator doesn't nothing to restrict flow it is simply an enlarged hollow opening so a straight pipe would change the flow, it would likely only make the system louder...

if the car has forced induction, then the less restrictions the better...

what car is it we're talking about here?

4. omegafallout

I had a turbo and it loved no back pressure but this is a honda accord 4 door

5. Tenchuu

Tenchuu New Member

back pressure is good. i had mine (98 240sx) set up wth as little pressure as possible on a NA (because i was switching the motor out to a turbo) and it ran ALOT shittier. so i put in a silencer and that created aenuff back pressure that is it is back up to running good and getting decent gas mileage.

6. omegafallout

silencer? See that seems my problem not enough back pressure and i think when my computers adjusting the shift points it seems like it cant make up its mind but if im rving it hin enough it does fine so im sure it has to do with that where can i get a silencer? how big are they i dont have a big fart can on my car.

7. VashTheStampede

VashTheStampede New Member

It wouldn't make a difference, because the O2 sensor has nothing to do with the AT computer, which reads off the tranny and not the fuel map.

8. skud_dusty

skud_dusty New Member

Vash is on OT also? Whatsup Vash :)

9. Tenchuu

Tenchuu New Member

most decent exhausts come with silencers. because 3" headers back straight pipe is loud as hell. basicallyit is a adaptor that takes the 3" and makes it about a 2" by blocking off the pipe and haveing only a 2" for the gasses to excape out of. if

10. Tenchuu

Tenchuu New Member

^ edit

if you know your exhaust brand and model you could search to see if there is replacement available, or search forums for people getting rid of thiers.

11. derivative

derivative OT Supporter

[move]Offtopic.com[/move]