I Need Better Car Audio Quality...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TALLandNcharge, Feb 2, 2008.

1. TALLandNcharge

TALLandNcharge New Member

I have a 2002 Ford F-150 CrewCab and I want to improve the audio quality. Hearing the songs on my iPod vs. the songs in my truck is like night and day. There is so much more clarity on the iPod. I know for sure, that I am going to get a subwoofer that is in a custom box that fits under my backseat. I want to get new door speakers.

But here is where the question comes in. I have a 6-disk CD changer in the backseat. So I'm not sure if I want to give that up for an aftermarket CD player. I heard that the factory radio that comes in the vehicles are designed especially for the best quality for that vehicle because they are factory fine tuned for that vehicles airspace. If I were to get an aftermarket radio, would it worsen the quality? Or will I notice an improvement?

2. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

False, your factory radio is not tuned to your airspace, unless you have a monsoon system.

3. themorrison

themorrison New Member

Get Alpine speakers, amps and head unit and you will be pleased with all of it. My entire system is Alpine except for the two 10 inch Eclipse subs and I have not had any problems, and it fucking rocks.

4. TALLandNcharge

Will buying a new headunit make a huge difference (clarity wise) versus just buying new speakers and sub and leaving the stock headunit?

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

you can start by amping the factory speakers. this will give some improvement. if you want to keep the changer, a high quality line output converter and a decent amp will keep all your OE equipment.

6. tjamz

tjamz New Member

Ok....here is the route I would go. First off, if you want to keep the factory Head Unit and CD Changer, I would use an MTX RE-Q as your line output convertor. Next I would get a decent 5 Channel Amplifier (Zapco I-Force I5100 is a great amp for the money...unfortunately, its not listed on their website yet, it is essentially an I450 and an I600 on a common chassis). Next I would look for a pair of 10's or a single 12" for the sub(s), I am partial to RE Audio's SR series for this type of application) and a prefab box (they fit, they work, and they aren't that expensive). And, i would also recommend upgrading your front speakers (just leave the rears in and turn them down on the amp.) Focal makes some very nice speakers in the Access and Polyglass lines that would work well for you I think.

7. Iseman

Iseman New Member

I think the VERY first thing anyone needs to ask here is, how much $$ do you wanna spend? Focal and RE arent exactly CHEAP neither is Zapco...

8. tjamz

tjamz New Member

Ummm....MSRP on what I listed is:

SR10's = 205 each
    OR
    SR12 = 233

I-5100 = 792

Focal 165CA1 6.5" coax's = 199

So, for ~$1400 to 1600 MSRP you have a very nice setup...

We all know that you don't pay MSRP for anything anymore, so those prices would be significantly lower...probably closer to that $1k mark.

Even if you disregard the brands recommended, and go with the basic premise of the layout, I think you will find that it is solid advice and a good guideline to follow. Maybe you don't need the 5 channel, maybe a good monoblock amp for the sub(s) and an upgraded pair of front speakers is fine for this person, that is another option in a never ending sea of choices. I just gave the one that I think would result in the best SQ for the money.

9. TALLandNcharge

I'm not familiar with amping the door speakers. All I have known is an amp running the sub. Care to educate me on putting power to the door speakers? What does all of that involve?

10. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

easy in a f150, lots of room. What you do is pretty much grab all your connections like you were amping a sub, but you take the speaker outputs and either run them to the wires behind the radio to the speakers, or run new thicker speaker wires to each speaker.

11. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

basically what penguin said. in the process of running the RCA wires to the amps, you can throw in 4 pairs of speaker wire at the same time. then connect the new wire to the factory speaker wires. Tune up your amps, and you're ready to rock!

Some people will frown on this, saying the factory wire is too small, yada yada yada. Here's a thought: you aren't doing competitions, you'll be running AC current through them (if you get DC on speakers, that's distortion), and using relatively low power. You shouldn't have the chance of introducing noise, and you won't have the risk of the speaker wires getting cut or anything.

12. TALLandNcharge

Alright, I think I understand. First what is a good amp to support 4 door speakers and a sub (preferrably Alpine)? The sub will probably be around 300RMS (I don't want tons of bass).

Now, I will run speaker wire (what gadge?) from the amp to the speakers. I'm guessing I will have to run the wire through the door (the plastic encasing between the door and truck?). I will cut the wire going from the factory radio to the speaker and attach it to the new wire?

There's a couple of questions in there and I appreciate everyone's help.

EDIT: I found the subwoofer and box I am going to be buying. http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=530&i=236FSC1CT4&tp=113

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  13. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

14. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

15. TALLandNcharge

16. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

17. TALLandNcharge

Alright, for once that was one thing I was aware of. But as far as amps, which one do I need? I might replace my head unit one day and then I could amp my speakers. What is the reasoning on not amping the speakers until an aftermarket unit?

18. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

Because using the line out converters to amps suck in comparison to hooking the rca's directly into the back of the head unit.

Line out converters are known for noise, you dont notice it much in subs, but mids and highs will be :ugh:

19. TALLandNcharge

Gotcha. Now which amp should I get in order to power the speakers and sub? If I were to eventually replace my deck.

20. TALLandNcharge

Referring to if I need a 4 channel amp or whatnot?

21. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

I would get a 4 channel amp and a mono block separate, fuck 5 channel amps.

22. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

if yoiu ever use one, you'll love it. i used to think the same way you do, til I started not building huge systems and realized the 5 channel was perfect for me.

23. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

Ive used them, I felt limited by the amp when I wanted to upgrade stuff.

24. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

you'll get tired of that.