I need automated backup software.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Dec 16, 2006.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

A while ago I built my parents a pair of firewire hard drives to mirror their computers with. Of course, the inevitable problem is that it's not a one-step process to run the operation. I need a piece of software that can either detect when they plug in the drive and start backing up files to it, or resides on the backup drive itself and tells Windows to Autorun the software. Moreover, I'd like it to be free and precompiled. :big grin:

Anybody have any recommendations?

2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Create an autorun.inf to launch a batch file that runs NTBACKUP with command line params to do the backup right then. NTBACKUP is actually pretty decent in XP/2003.

OR just keep them plugged in all the time so you can shedule the backup jobs.

3. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

syncback by 2brightsparks is decent

4. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Windows Explorer

5. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Keep them plugged in, and used software raid.

6. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

raid =! backup

7. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

:werd:

RAID is not necessarily a good solution...

8. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

Or you can schedule the backup jobs to run every 10 minutes. When the drive is not connected, it will just miss them. When it's connected, the job will run. This is not a great solution but it will work.

9. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

I did a similar thing recently, not on Windows though ;)
    http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=13330#13330
    Works a charm. Scheduling backups every few minutes is a mess. Windows might have similar functionality, behind the scenes. What about that kinda-AutoRun-but-not-exactly stuff? Know the way you stick in a CD, it gives you a choice of what to do (play music, browse files, blah blah) - maybe you could hack it to run a script for this drive, and check "do this all the time". It'd be the ideal solution. (classic AutoRun would work too, but wasn't it removed (failing that, dumbed down) because of the (kinda obvious) security risk?)

10. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

No, but only optical drives can autorun without intervention. Everything else you have to allow the action. USB devices, for instance. That's why U3 drives emulate a CDROM, so they can autolaunch without being prompted.

11. deusexaethera

I'm afraid I have no experience writing Autorun.inf files. Can anybody show me an example of how one is supposed to look?

12. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

13. keleko

keleko yes, he is

enable task scheduler,
    run %SystemRoot%\system32\ntbackup.exe,
    set what to back up and where to,
    ??????,
    profit

yes, this means the pc and the external drive would need to powered on and plugged in all the time

14. deusexaethera

I've seen this one. I've not had any luck configuring it to start a backup automatically when the drive is plugged in, though -- only on a schedule.

Sexual Vanilla: Cute. I remember seeing that suggestion somewhere else before. I guess you were saving it up to give back to me?

Scheduled backups really aren't an option. My parents turn their computers off if they're not going to need them again in the next hour -- asking them to keep them on constantly just won't happen. I need a backup solution that fits their usage habits well enough that it will actually happen from time to time.

15. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Well that's a different problem then. IF the drive is attached and the PC powered on, it won't Autorun. It will only autorun if the drive is attached after the PC is booted and logged in. For that you can use a startup script in the Startup folder in the start menu.

16. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

17. deusexaethera

Nah, you're overthinking the problem. The drives have separate power supplies and little power switches on the back, so it's pretty easy to tell them to leave the drive plugged in all the time but only turn it on when they want to run a backup. That will solve the Autorun problem; I just need to play a bit and come up with an Autorun file that will work.

Oh, and it would be awesome if I could come up with a way to automatically restore the backup from the external drive without having to reinstall Windows first.

18. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Hey, I can only go by the info you give ;-)

You pretty much can't recover without a reinstall of the OS unless you use a 3rd party utility (like Acronix True Image) that can create recovery boot media.