GUN I need AR15 help. *pic*

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by WiLL, Jul 30, 2006.

1. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

So I just got my upper yesturday. Its a Stag flattop. I havent gotten a chance to shoot it yet. But I did cycle through about 30 rounds. I just put the rounds in the magazine and pull the charging handle each time. I dont know why I did it, but I just wanted to mess with the rifle for a bit.

I did notice that there was a couple of times when releasing the charging the handle, the bolt would not fully close. I would have to use the assist thing to close it.

Now I just broke the rifle open and saw this. It looks like the tips of the bullet took off a piece of whatever you see there. I looked at my other brand new uppers, and didnt see it there. I cycled through some Wolf and some Remington .223 rounds. Here is what I see. Is there something wrong?

[​IMG]

2. striker754

striker754 Chillin

seems normal. my ar upper has it. of course it could be from the attached mag :noes:

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

its from using wolf ammo its destroyed your upper, send it to me to dispose of it and any other wolf users should send me there supply so i can properly get rid of it.

Looks ok to me.

4. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

Ok, maybe I am just paranoid. :o

Is there anything I should know before I shoot it? I will shoot my Remington stuff first, then finish off my Wolf stuff.

Ohh, got a question. I have an ARMS #40 flip up sight in the rear, I see a small circle and a bigger circle. Which one should I be using for < 100 yds?

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

big circle, small circle is harder to acquire but more precise.

6. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

you shouldnt cycle like that. You might get a slam fire. :noes:

7. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

being a fellow bay areaian where did u go to get that? also how hard is it to load with the attached magazine?

8. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

Whats a slam fire :o

FalconXtreme:

I built it from parts. I bought everything through vendors on ar15.com or calguns.net. Calguns is a good place to start. :hs: Putting rounds in the mag isnt hard. It just takes long. It takes a few moment to pop a pivot bolt out, swing open the upper, then load the mag like you usually would. The mag is just a little more stationary thats all. Still a pain, but not hard at all.

9. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

kool, where do u shoot at?

10. striker754

striker754 Chillin

dot. thats risky business.

slam fire is when the bolt flies forward so does the firing pin, and if the pin is heavy enough and has enough speed it can fire the round in the gun without you pulling the trigger.

definately a safe idea and smart idea not to chamber rounds indoors/places you dont wnat a bullet.

11. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

Thanks. Thats good to know!

So isnt that pretty much what happens when you are on a range? You take one shot, the bolt flies backwards then slams forward again.

12. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

I live in Oakland. So there is Chabot that is literally up the hill from me. If I want an indoor pistol I go to San Leandro (but their 100yd range sucks). And I like to make it out to Los Altos because of their Tin Can range.

13. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Well normally when the bolt slams closed you don't expect it to fire until you pull the trigger. With a slam fire the round goes off as soon as the bolt closes. If you're really unlucky it keeps happening. I really never hear about them on ar15's, but sks's are notorious for them because people don't clean the cosmoline out of the firing pin channel. Either way if your bolt doesn't have a spring loaded firing pin it is possible. No matter keep your guns pointed in a safe direction when chambering a round.

14. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

I see. Well its good to know regardless. I dont want it going off in the house...even if it was pointed at a blank wall. :hs:

Next question, I dont see a lot of .223 boresnakes. Can I just use a .22 one? :o

15. islanderman7

islanderman7 New Member

my cousin, ex-marine told me to use small circle during the day, and big circle at night. has to do w/ light coming in. because the lens in your pupil change at night to abosorb more light.

i didnt know your rifle was complete. thats sweet! kudos! i remeber when me and mds2004 were excited to shoot are rifles the first time.

about your bolt not closing all the way, try taking apart the hold bolt carrier assembly and lube it up. i had that problem too, but no more. its nice and WET :x: easy in, easy out:p

yes, i use a .22 boresnake for mine

16. 993kgt

993kgt building an airplane whee

What The Fuck

you were playing with live ammo? why am I the only one who feels the need to smack some sense into this guy? seriously? wtf? if you slap the charging handle closed hard enough and your firing pin has enough momentum, you can discharge

YOU WERE PLAYING WITH LIVE AMMO?!

17. 993kgt

993kgt building an airplane whee

do not listen to this guy either, you do not want your internals wet, that much lube combined with the residue from a few magazines worth of ammo = gunk everywhere

wipe everything down wtih CLP and wipe all excess off, this will be sufficient

18. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

Well, lesson learned. Glad something bad didnt go wrong. And I know better now.

19. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

Ok, I have another question.

So I reside in California and have to have the magazine pinned down. What am I suppose to do during a cease fire and I still have rounds in the magazine? Am I to remove all the rounds by pulling the handle IN ADDITION to breaking the top open? I know this might vary from range to range, but I just wanted a heads up.

20. striker754

striker754 Chillin

no clue how the magazine system works on that. cant you just open the mag and take them out?

21. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

Its difficult to take the rounds out the mag with your fingers :o

22. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Will:
    Saw your post on ar15.com

Where did you get the pistol grip and butt stock?

23. striker754

striker754 Chillin

not really or pull the floorplate out

24. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

take a look at the primers of the rounds you chambered. :noes:

They should be dented from the FP.

About cease fire. Most ranges, will give you a 1 min warning until a cease fire.

25. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

best Idea: break the gun open, or, if you are empty, stick a flag into the chamber so that they know that even though the mag is there, the gun is empty.