I need an SATA PCI card that can be made non-bootable.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Aug 23, 2009.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

My motherboard has a built-in SATA controller by Silicon Image, and I have an SATA RAID card as well, which gives me all the SATA ports I need. The problem is, my motherboard's BIOS uses the same boot device designation -- "SCSI" -- for both the onboard SATA controller and the SATA RAID controller I added, so I can't specify which one I want to be included in the boot sequence, or in which order I want them to boot. This was never a problem until I added a hot-swappable drive bay, but now I can't have the hot-swappable disk plugged in during bootup or the motherboard BIOS shits itself trying to boot from the hot-swap disk.

I need a PCI SATA controller (no RAID, cheap software RAID, whatever) that lets me explicitly set it as non-bootable, so the motherboard BIOS will skip over it during bootup. If it has an eSATA port on the back, even better. It doesn't need to support SATA DVD drives; I can just keep using the onboard controller for that.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. deusexaethera

3. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

4. deusexaethera

Hmm...the only ones that look like they have boot/non-boot jumpers are eSATA only. How irritating.

All I really need is one that doesn't have an Int13 thingy in its onboard BIOS chip, because that's the thing that registers the card as bootable with the motherboard BIOS. You'd think "bootable/non-bootable" is something they'd list as a feature.

5. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

You would think.

Some have onboard BIOS options that allow the cards to act as boot/non-boot, but good luck figuring out which ones they are.

6. deusexaethera