I need an external HD

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FrankWhite, Aug 27, 2007.

1. FrankWhite

FrankWhite New Member

I really need an external HD for my laptop. It's a Toshiba and i'm running Vista if that matters..I saw a 400 gg one for about 100 dollars, should I go with it? can you find me a better one? :hsd:

2. JaJae

JaJae New Member

You could make your own by putting an internal harddrive into an external case.

Not sure what brand harddrive you're looking at, but that seems like a pretty low price and is most likely a shitty brand.

I recommend this.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148235

Buying a harddrive is not something you want to screw around with. Harddrives fail, some more than others. If you want your drive to last get a decent one. Seagate is a good brand and comes with a 5 year warranty. Look at the warranty of the drive you're looking at. I bet it's under 3 years because they don't expect it to last half as long as a decent brand which you can get for only a few dollars more. Also consider the nature of an external drive rather than one mounted in your case... transporting harddrives, bumping them, etc isn't the ideal condition for them. If you're gonna go external it's even more of a reason to get a good brand. Not to mention speeds, shitty external harddrives often have pretty shitty transfer rates.

3. FrankWhite

FrankWhite New Member

thank for the help. and you're right the one i was looking at only had a 1 year warranty on it. 500 and 5 years for 40 more is def. worth it. thanks a lot

4. Stev

Stev Active Member

if you need basic storage on the go.. take a look at external 2.5" hard drives.
    My sata external notebook drive is as fast as any other external, and doesnt need a plug in, and is quiet. Yes, more expensive, but sometimes i need to get at data when i dont have an extra plug-in sitting around.