SRS I need advice on how to help my dad

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BIGsteev, Jan 5, 2008.

1. BIGsteev

BIGsteev New Member

I recently realized my dad is an alcoholic, and I would really like to help him, but don't really know how. Apparently my mom has been trying to bring the issue to his attention for about a year now, and he doesn't really seem to think he has a problem. He's gained a lot of weight recently, and he has one or two gigantic glasses of scotch pretty much every night. The thing is, he is apparently a 'functional alcoholic'; his drinking problem doesn't get in the way of his job or other things for that matter, but I (and other family members) have noticed that it's becoming a health issue. I would really appreciate any advice you guys could give me.

2. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

check out a group called Al-Anon

they can give you some ideas on how to start about this process

3. FredricaBimmel

FredricaBimmel Great big fat person

First off, he most likely won't stop drinking until he feels ready. One or two glasses of scotch, in my opinion, wont affect his health that quickly. How long has he been drinking like that?

The best thing you can do is express your feelings to him and the family and get yourself in a support program that teaches YOU ways to deal with it.\

4. Rolledsho

Rolledsho New Member

He will never stop until he wants to.

He has to realize there is a problem.

How is his drinking affecting the family

5. BIGsteev

BIGsteev New Member

His two glasses of scotch don't actually count for just two, they add up to about 8 or 10 standard servings. Fortunately, his drinking has a pretty minimal effect on the family. The only real effect it has is that we (mom, brother, sister, and I) are getting more and more concerned about his health, in a more long-term view. I would like to have him around for as long as possible, but that's not all that likely with the way he drinks.

6. Matt Hood

Matt Hood New Member

try aa. if that don't work, pour out his scotch replace water in the bottle. see if he notices.

7. Deepsouthwrx

Deepsouthwrx If in doubt, flat out!

my dad enjoys a couple of glasses of scotch when he gets off work, just his way of unwinding :dunno:

8. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

He should be having blood tests done as part of his regular check ups. They will be able to tell if alcohol is affecting his health by his liver enzymes.

What are his drinking habits like on the weekends and other days off?

9. I really dont think is any kind of issue...

Maybe your Mom should like make plans for things like movies and shit where they can go out without drinking?

I mean its not a big deal, he isnt an alcoholic... Definitly dont bring it up. just try to get him to go out somewhere at night where drinking wont be involved a couple times a week if you wanna do something. Or maybe try to get him into some kind of outdoors hobby. Like Bicyling or something like that

10. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

you could start putting epicac in his drinks so he violently vomits while drinking. however this is techincally considered poisoning and violates laws. but it could make him puke whenever he drinks.

11. damM3

damM3 Active Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

12. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

:werd:
    And they can help you deal with all the confusing shit that happens when a practicing alcoholic is in your life.

13. Redbeard

Redbeard OT Supporter

Maybe focus on doing something in the evening that will distract him. You could take up jogging together.

14. ForgottenSpiral

ForgottenSpiral Hope and Irony OT Supporter

dawt