MIL I need advice, i.e. ROTC/OCS

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by murdok311, Jan 18, 2007.

1. murdok311

murdok311 New Member

ok heres my situation, I am in my 5th semester of college, and I have 5 or 6 semesters remaining to get a B.S. in Mechanical Eng. I joined the army reserve 1 year ago and completed BCT/AIT in october, I just started ROTC. but i havnt contracted yet, taking the MSL 212 class (MS II) 2nd semester. I already know I want to go active duty for sure once i graduate but I want to get out of ordnance corps and actually do engineering work. My concern is that ROTC may just be too much of a time committment, pushing graduation away 1 semester and all of the other commitments that go with it. my other option is to do OCS, either in the 14 week course or over the course of a year. I dont want to be deployed during college, but I dont really care once I am done and on active duty. any advice/suggestions are appreciated

2. murdok311

murdok311 New Member

oh and getting in isnt a prob... i have a 277 pt and 121 GT score... plus 75 college credits.. all u need to comission is 62 or something

3. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

If you've completed basic training/AIT, you only need to take MSC 3 & 4.

4. murdok311

murdok311 New Member

I know that, but the way you contract is by filling out at 109-R and you put tentativly what classes you are going to take and when, with the goal of when you are a senior you are taking your two final ROTC courses, besides, I wanted to give it a "test run" if you will, and in order to even take ms3 classes you need to contract, so sometime within the next few weeks I need to make up my mind before I end up in Iraq fixing hummers... Its not that I wouldnt mind that.. i just dont want to do it for a year or 18 mo's or whatever

5. shiba

shiba Active Member

What do you mean by pushing graduation away by one semester? all you need as an enlisted man is 4 semester to finish ROTC. Honestly, I really don't see ROTC as that time consuming, but then again it really depends on how the program is at your school.

6. murdok311

murdok311 New Member

I have to take 15 more credits, my curriculum is very structured and I only need 16 gen-ed credits, and I have already got most of them

MSL212 TEAMWORK & LEADERSHIP EE230 CIRUCUIT ANALYSIS I ME214 DYNAMICS ME223 MECHANICS OF MATERIALS EE244 DIGITAL LOGIC ME291 ENGINEERING ANALYSIS

MSL311 LEADERSHIP & PROB. SOLVING ME206 MATERIAL SCIENCE ME241 THERMODYNAMICS ME321 FLUID MECHANICS EE240 DIGITAL LAB ME341 LINEAR SYSTEM ANALYSIS

LEADERSHIP & ETHICS HEAT TRANSFER APPLIED THEMODYNAMICS MANUFACTURING PROCESS ME EXPERIMENTATION I MACHINE ELEMENTS

MSL411 LEADERSHIP & MANAGEMENT ME420 CAE OR ME450 FEM ME428 DESIGN PROJECT I ME436 ME EXPERIMETNATION II ME463 AUTOMATIC CONTROLS ME4XX ME ELECTIVES

MSL 412 OFFICERSHIP ME438 DESIGN PROJECT II ME466 ME EXPERIMENTATION III ME492 ME SEMINAR ME4XX ME ELECTIVE HIST 153 WAR & PEACE IN 20TH CENTURY 300/400 H/SS ELECTIVE

Thats what I have remaining (by semester).. each of those is 17 cr except one is 18 and 1 is 16

7. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Stay ROTC - Less hassle

8. RecklessYouth

RecklessYouth godamnlurker

Im set to graduate here at OCS next week, its been a great experience and all but if I could go back in time I woulda gone ROTC. I believe ROTC gets preference for branch selections as well.

9. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

I'm no expert on Army commissioning, but don't you have to completed your BS within 12 months of commissioning, if you're allowed to commission before with your 64+ cr hours?

10. murdok311

murdok311 New Member

I dont know, the other thing is, once you commission, dont you have to do your officer basic course or whatever within 12 mo's as well?

I think the situation with the B.S. is that you cant make O-3 without it

11. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

College Ops (people who are going to college or have gone to college) have to have their degree before they will be comissioned.

12. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

If you are Active duty, you will have BOLC II, and OBC scheduled right after that. If you are reserve or NG, you have to completed OBC within 12 months of getting your comission and you won't be promoted to 1LT till you finish OBC.

13. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

PM ME, I can answer all you questions.
    -LT

14. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

hey wait... why are you signing your message with my name? :eek3:

15. murdok311

murdok311 New Member

im going to do rotc... plus airborne this summer WOOT!!! ... yeah, the only thing that suck though is i lose my 20k student loan repayment.. i have like 12 k i loans that are elligible.. anyone know anything about SLRP and how not to lose it?

16. JSin

JSin New Member

Rotc >>>>>> Ocs