I need advice from some powerlifters.. GET IN HERE MAINE!

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Paintballny, Dec 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Ok so here is my deal. Got a meet this sunday... I currently weigh 226.2 according to my scale. I know its 1.6lbs heavy so theoretically I am only 224.6 and thats at night so I figure in the morning I'll be ~223. Since its only 3lbs should I just compete at 220 (suck a little water) or just say fuck it and eat my ass off between now and then and just compete at 242? For reference I am normally 228-29 but I loaded up on water and now I'm pulling the water intake back. Only reason I am considering competing at 242 is cause it would benefit my team (we have two 220's but both of us are on the edge so one of us is going up...) but... I want to get a qualifying total for Collegiate Nationals... thing is by the time that rolls around I'm hoping to be 198... which means between now and then I'd have to compete and get a qualifying total at 198 or just compete as a real light 220. So yeah... what would you guys do? What should I eat tommorow? Any tips to drop those last 2-4lbs? As it stands.. if I when I get to equipment check in tommorow my scale is either not off by as much as I thought or... light I am definately going up to 242... just wanted to hear someone else's opinion...

2. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

Compete at 220. You can shed that water off overnight if you have to.

Shouldnt effect your strength. And of course its always more impressive to see bigger lifts in a lower weight class.

But what the hell do I know?

3. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Yeah thats what I'm hoping to do. I'm just finishing up a carb meal so my mind is starting to work a little better. My lifts won't be too impressive though. Opening with 465/297/465. Third attempts are (as of now) 505/309/501. In the end I'm looking for atleast 1275 and would love a 1300 total. Its the 2hrs between weigh ins and lifting that worry me a little. I would kill for 24hr weigh ins but I don't think any USAPL meets do that.

4. TZ

TZ Banned

is that b/s/d?

or s/b/d? sorry, just curious

5. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

shedding the water WILL effect strength.

read what noquarter and maine were talking about.. bdr, too.

6. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

it's s/b/d

7. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Yeah thats my concern. Maine had a much longer period between weigh in and lifting also.

8. TZ

TZ Banned

my bench is too high compared to my other lifts :wtc:

9. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Nah.. my bench is just shitty...

10. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Wait you're only making a 12lb jump between your opener and third bench attempt?

11. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

err first attempt is most likely gonna be like 287.... bench scares me.. ugh.. so easy to fuck it up.

12. Hpower

Hpower GO GATORS

I went to collegiate nationals last year, I might try and go again this year but I might be to old. I believe 220 is less competative than 198 because there are less people competeting in 220.

13. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

The only gripe I have about collegiates is that its in Texas which means I'll need to get myself and a handler there without breaking the bank... That is assuming I don't say fuck it and lift as a 242 sunday. All depends on what I weigh on the meet scale..

14. cavefish

What are the qualifying totals? I'm assuming its USAPL.

15. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

16. cavefish

I should enter them shits and qualify for it raw :p

Actually a collegiate meet would be pretty cool but the only piece of single ply gear I have is an open back shirt. And my school doesn't have an official PL team/club. I like how the total jumps 300+ lbs from juniors to men's open.

17. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

do it! Then you can...walk it out...walk it out... westside walk it out... southside walk it out..

On a serious note.. what do you think is a good go/no go point in terms of lbs over a class? I am close but how close I really won't know until tommorow when I hop onto the meet scale.

18. cavefish

I always walk my squats out. I even walk them out of the monolift which is weird, I know. Hm the highest total at this years collegiate nationals in the SHW class was 1858. Not bad for single ply gear but the dude weighed over 400lbs.

I dunno I've never had to worry about cutting weight. The biggest thing is not sacrificing any strength in trying to shed as much as possible in a quick time and fucking up your meet prep. Sounds like you're really close it already though.

19. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

unless you are attempting to qualify for some national/world meet or trying to break some record there is no point to cut weight. you've been training your ass off for this meet, no point to risk strength to make weight. at your level, start bloating tonite to make your gear tighter and forget about making weight.

unless you are at a REAL meet (apf/aapf/wpc/awpc) there is no point to cut. eat your ass off and destroy some shit at your meet..... don't cut.

20. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

p.s. if you don't come back with video, pics, and a good meet write up.... your ass is gonna get banned :fawk:

21. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

if you insist on cutting to make the lower class.... eat no carbs all day and take your last "meal" at 5pm and make it chicken or extemely lean meat. Drink, at the most, 15oz of water all day. don't drink anything until weigh in, if you must, find a sauna close to the weigh in spot. after successfully making weight, have a 1 gallon jug with 64oz of gatorade, 32oz of pedialyte and the rest water. mix 10-15g of creatine in the jug and put a few shakes of salt in the jug. drink it slowly but make sure you get the jug in before squats. have a secondary jug ready for between squat attempts and the rest of the day.

just remember on a same day weigh in, you will not fully recover true weight. You may make the scale weight back, but your muscles won't be fully recovered. for an APF meet it is OK to cut water to make weight. With a USAPL/IPF meet, it is extremely difficult to cut water and get back to normal for your lifting. unless you are aiming for a national record or looking for a qualifying total in a lower weight class, there is NO need to cut.

22. cavefish

USAPL has same day weigh ins? That's about a bitch.

23. TZ

TZ Banned

fuck i couldn't even qualify :hs: :wtc:

kick some ass paintball :)

24. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Maine - Thanks for the advice. I am attempting to get myself a qualifying total for Collegiate nationals but theoretically I would be 198 by then making that a moot point (idea is to get down to 198 and get a qualifying total at PA States). I am going to have a talk with my friend/coach tommorow and I think I'm going to take one for the team and go in as a really light 242 and go for some serious PRs. Like I said though.. first thing tommorow is that after we check into the hotel we are gonna head over to the meet location to watch some of the lighter weight lifters (we have two lifters on our team roster lifting tommorow) and I'll see how close I am. Like you said though.. I've busted my ass and I'd rather go in heavy and really tear it up than go in light and only hit openers/second attempts. Oh and I'll be bringing my camera and having people take pics and I'll definately do another write-up. Sound like a good plan?

25. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Yeah.. 2hrs before you lift... sucks for me..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.