I need a way to track who's logging onto a Terminal Server and when they're online.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Apr 21, 2010.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I've got a project manager whose team works pretty much exclusively from home or on-site, and they have a Terminal Server here in the office they log into when they need access to in-office resources. I've also got a file server that replicates to another office every night, and that's interfering with his team's ability to use the Terminal Server any old time they feel like. I've asked him to give me a rough idea of when his team uses our resources outside of core hours, and his response was basically "any time of day, any day of the week, whenever we need it, no matter what." Short of suggesting he pull a dedicated T1 out of his ass, I figured I'd try to see if there's any pattern to their Terminal Server usage, so I can work around them.

Anyone know of a way to see a timeline of when each user is online?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I would think a simple script to indicate when they're logging on and logging off would do:

echo %username%,Logon,%date%,%time% >> c:\LocationOfLogFiles\Logons.txt
    echo %username%,Logoff,%date%,%time% >> c:\LocationOfLogFiles\Logons.txt

Throw that in a group policy for the term server and turn on the GP matrix mode (I can't even remember what it's called but it basically combines the GP with the user's normal GP).

Edit: Here it is:

Use the Merge function so that you don't lose the other settings that the user normally has.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

And if you're not backing up locally first and then sending it, I would do that as well.