I need a small sealed sub setup... Suggestions?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by StealthMode, Oct 11, 2005.

1. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

Well, my stock Monsoon system in my Jetta sounds great as it is, so all I am going to do is add a sub for a little more low end..
    I'm planning on getting one Image Dynamics sub and a small sealed enclosure.

Trouble is, which ID sub, the ID12, or the IDQ12? IDQ12 is a few more dollars and can be put into a smaller enclosure, but requires more minimum wattage. I was planning on using my JBL GTO 75.4 amp (rear channels can be bridged to 284wats RMS @ 4ohms x2)

What would you suggest?? :x:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  2. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

I would get the ID not the IDQ my ID i have right now i like more than the IDQ's i owned. Maybe it's the increased Xmax :) . i have my ID10 in a .75 box before displacement and it sounds beautiful

3. johnson

johnson New Member

ID10 dual 2 ohm ftw

4. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

5. sXeVegan

sXeVegan Custom User Title

i had an IDQ and loved it. It was stolen out of my rx7 though. I ran it off a zapco studio 100x (200x1) and it sounded really good. They seemed to make a good combo.

I wanted to replace it with and ID10 because sounddomain had them as an open box item for a while for like $75. Instead, i got an alpine typeR 10 for free from a buddy of mine so ive been using that since.

6. StealthMode

Ok, ID12 it is. My JBL should be more than sufficient right?
    Any recomendations on a box? It says recomended sealed from .80 to 1.50 cu. ft., I'm thinking of going as small as I can.

7. pharcyde183

mine is .7 after sub displacement actually and it's great. I bought mine refurb off sounddomain, and promptly stuck a screwdriver through the cone, sealed it with silicone sealant, felt better, cranked it up, works great

8. StealthMode

You got your box off cardomain?

9. StealthMode

I'm thinking of maybe just building my own box and saving a few $$$'s, does anyone know the dimensions of a .80ish cu. ft. (more or less, which ever would work the best) box? And also, how think of MDF would you recomend?

10. pharcyde183

i got a really simple box for very cheap . It's only 5/8" MDF but weight mattered to me and for a small lightweight sub you don't need 3/4" MDF what's the point. it was like $25 shipped amazing find and it's got banana plugs and sealants used are top notch as well as the wood

11. Arc

Arc New Member

for that type of box just go to bb or cc.

If you want to build it use either .5" or 5/8ths MDF (prob. 5/8). Remember to measure internal measurements. When you have the total measurements, (assuming a square) multiply W*H*L, and then divide that total by 1728 (cuft in inches). Then you need to subtract the actual displacement of the sub, which should be on the website, or the spec sheet that comes with the sub. Sorry for being so basic.

If you do a square box with a measurements of 14*14*10, that should (If my math is right) equal out to an internal volume of .82 cuft. You just need to subtract sub displacement. And you got yourself a box around .75-.78 cuft.

12. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

if you choose to go the BB or CC prefab route, i might suggest that you take some good silicone (i use GE clear 1 silicone) and hit all the seams. also, if you're fairly capable, shoot some braces in there on the larger panels and maybe pop a couple of screws in the edges, just for safety's sake (or you can use an air stapler/nail gun to do this as well). Just my thoughts, since some prefab boxes have parts that are pressure fit, or use a tongue and groove assembly method. since you'll be using a pretty nice sub, you might as well take a little time to maximize the box if you don't build on yourself!

13. StealthMode

What size are the boxes from BB and CC? I might just get one of those and call it good if they are the size I want, or I might scout out ebay too... Just not sure what I want to do for the box yet.... If I build it myself I will need to carpet it... and by the time the box is built, I won't have any more motivation to do that :o

14. Arc

Arc New Member

best idea for you then

15. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

:squint: do what?

16. johnson

johnson New Member

Do you know how to measure? Remember to take out the volume of the woofer basket.

LxWxH / 1728 = cubic feet

12x12x12 / 1728 = 1 cubic feet

17. Arc

Arc New Member

i was saying that best buy or circuit city would be the best idea for the guy since he says he probablly won't be bothered to carpet it. Sounds like he has never done it and only thought of it to save a buck.

18. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

oh ok. :bigthumb:

19. StealthMode

Thanx, I wasn't sure how that worked.. Had a brain fart :o

I've done it before...I just don't have the motivation to completely finish it it. But, one of these weekends maybe I can borrow either my dads shop, or my g/fs step dads shop and build away. Thats if I don't order a box off of cardomain or something.. A custom box would be nice though.... :hsugh: