I need a Shop Vac, but how powerful?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by MSIGuy, Feb 26, 2008.

1. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

So my only vacuum I have is a little 12v cheapo from Wal-Mart that rocks for the occasional piece or dirt, but its worthless for much more than that. So I think I need to pick up a Shop Vac, but I don't know how powerful of one I need.

I kinda want to keep it around the $50 range, maybe up to $70 if it'll really be worth it. I've looked around Wal-Mart, Lowes, Home Depot ect and I've found a few different ones ranging from 2.0hp to 4.0hp. My question is really how powerful does a shop vac need to be? Will a 2hp be enough for most jobs or should I go for a 3hp or 4hp Shop Vac? I'm not forseeing a huge ammount of horrible carpets in my future, but I might also grab a Little Green Machine if that'll make any difference in recomending a vac.

So what do you guys have?

2. fuover4free

fuover4free Active Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (don't get your hair wet: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D062; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

get what you can for what you want to pay

3. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

Well, I figured I'd check if generally a 2.0hp one works well and I'd save some money or if the difference between that and the 4hp one would be worth the money.

I don't really have a problem getting something that is a little more expensive if its going to be worth it, but if a 2 or 3 hp vac is more than enough to use on a normal car I might as well go with that.

4. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

Rigid makes a great 2 HP, 5Gal wet vac........$39.00 also, cant beat the price....

5. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

6. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

there's a particular rigid that many people recommend. i think it's the 6050 or something like that. it's 5 hp 4 gal and $69. i've used one since i got a shopvac 5.75 hp 16 gal and wish I'd gotten the rigid.

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

8. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

Well, I ended up picking up this one on sale from Lowes.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=127133-20097-5872411&lpage=none

It seems to work pretty well but I swear it blows more air out the back (I'm assuming exhaust) than it sucks through it. And yes, I have the hole covered for where you can turn it into a blower, I'm not that dense... lol

I'm glad I went with the 5.5hp and not a 2hp or anything like that. I don't think that anything else I would have been happy with. I've got to say it did a pretty decent job with just some water and a brush then vacuming it out.

Thanks for the input!

9. telc

telc OT Supporter

Costco carries some in the stores, so you would be getting lifetime warranty on it if you find one you like. I believe they carry Shopvac brand and other brand.

I was researching them last year but didn't end up purchasing one and I think I was going to get a Rigid.