I need a scanner to transform paper > softcopy

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Alt+F4, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 official OT hockey stud

About once a month, one of our school boards sends me a 50 page packet that I have to scan into .pdf format and e-mail out. We currently have an HP 5470C scanner that's at least 4-5 years old, and it sucks with .pdf format, even if I crank the resolution up to 2400, it's highest.

After some complaints, I've been told to find prices on a new scanner to appease the old bats who can't read it. In looking at $300-$500 scanners, I've noticed that they're mostly 2400x2400 resolution, even the brand new ones. I'm scared that if I buy a nice new HP, it'll scan the .pdfs just as bad and then I look like a retard. What else should I look for in a scanner? Is it possible that the software I'm using (hp precisionscan pro 3.1) is causing the terrible quality?

Thanks.

2. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

it's got to be the software.

2400 DPI is WAY overkill for OCR scanning.

You need better OCR software or you need to read the manual for the software you have and see if you're just not using the recommended settings or something. My old scanner was only 300 DPI and it did OCR fine, so it's either user error or poor software.

3. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 official OT hockey stud

It's not OCR. It's .pdf. It does OCR ok.

[​IMG]

That's how my scans are showing up now. Notice the line items...really choppy.

4. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

my bad.

regardless, 2400 DPI is overkill for PDF.

try doing it at 300 DPI or 600 DPI and see how that works out.

also, try printing from your 2400 DPI PDF's and see how it turns out. part of the reason it will look crappy on screen is because you have a 2400 DPI image that you're vieiwing on what is likely a 72-96 DPI screen, so it's impossible to see all the pixels. try zooming on it all the way up to the max zoom and it will look better on your monitor.

regardless, you should be fine with 300 or 600 DPI for your scans as long as it's all stuff that won't need to be printed any larger than the original size...and the file sizes should be much smaller too.