I need a Registry cleaner that does something I've never seen before.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Apr 20, 2007.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'm dealing with a computer that has corrupt Registry keys; I really really don't want to reformat it because it will take a couple of weeks to build it back up the way it is currently. On the whole, the computer works fine, but certain things like the ".doc" program association just don't work and I can't edit or delete them. I can't seize control of them using NTFS permissions either. Even a program I wrote to delete the keys via SYSTEM mode couldn't get the job done.

So what I need is something that reads every single readable key in the Registry, copies it into a new Registry database, ignores corrupt keys that it can't access, and swaps out its reconstructed Registry database upon reboot.

I thought the NTREGOPT tool that I found a few weeks ago could do this, but it seems to choke on the corrupt keys and gives up after a few minutes.

Anybody ever seen something that can delete Registry keys that only appear to exist, so I can reinstall the affected applications successfully?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if it's *that* fux0red, then it'll be worth it to simply reformat.

3. deusexaethera

It's really not. You have no idea how much shit goes into making this system work again. I have a ten-page list of Registry entries that have to be entered by hand. For one application.

(yes, I know they can be compiled into a .REG file, but the previous guy was a total idiot. All that exists is handwritten notes for building the machine.)

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

No, but if it was me I would clone the drive before I got started, just in case it got fubar'd.

Then you could start throwing registry mechanic style programs at it until
    you found one that fit's the bill.

5. deusexaethera

The drive is already cloned. I just need a program that will filter corrupted Registry database records. SOMEONE has to make a program like that.

6. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I assume standard registry cleaners like Registry Mechanic can't scan
    a custom registry key?

7. deusexaethera

The problem, I think, is that the keys don't actually exist anymore -- only their headers do. I can't even delete them in SYSTEM mode, which has permission to do anything possible.