I need a new service provider

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ramennoodles, Apr 27, 2006.

1. ramennoodles

ramennoodles fucking robots...

I need a new internet. Can someone suggest some good providers?

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Who do you have now? I think Time Warner serves Reseda. I have TW in Orange County and its pretty fast and reliable. For DSL, try dslextreme. About the same price as SBC but at least their tech support is in the SFV so they speak English.

3. ramennoodles

i got SBC yahoo DSL.

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i have sbc here and i haven't had trouble with it., other than when my contract ran out and they never informed me about it, then started charging my $56 a month.
    i called them up, got a service credit for the extra they charged me and got another 6 month contract with them.
    as far as service goes, i don't need anything crazy. i have the 1536/384 speed for $27 a month. in the past year, theres only been one outage and it lasted maybe 3 hours.

i had cable (adelphia) before and sucked. customer service sucked and the cable service sucked. i'd come home from work 3 nights a week to see my cable modem attempting to find a signal. i'd call up customer service everytime, probably about 12 times total, to have them tell me that they have an outage in my area and that they can't credit me for it.
    i even had a couple of techs come out and check the box outside and my connections inside and everything was varified correct.
    adelphia just couldn't get they're shit together...and it cost $45 a month

5. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

For dialup, I use Nethere. They are a San Diego based companies, but they might have local access numbers up in Reseda. Otherwise for my broadband, I am using Cox for cable Internet. I went with the premium package, and both upload and download are very very fast.

6. ramennoodles

could you post numbers for the speed?

7. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

I've had Verizon DSL 3Mb/768Kb for about a year and a half and I love it. Fuck Comcast and their constant downtime. My DSL has never gone down. With Comcast it seemed like every other day it would be out for 1-2 hours right when I needed.

My friend has Comcast and when I stop by his house rarely do I ever see him get near the advertised 6mbps downstream. He's always running around 3mbps on the fastest of sites.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2006
  8. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

For COX, download is at 9mbps, upload at 1mbps (for the Premium service). For the dialup, I generally connect at 40-48kbps depending on the phone lines.

9. ramennoodles

I just checked my fathers contract and it said that we should get about 1MB/sec DL and 700 kb/sec up. I checked and we only get 400-600 kb/sec DL and 200 kb/sec upload

10. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Call your ISP and have them figure out what's going on with it. If you aren't getting the speed you are paying for, you should find out what the deal is.