I NEED A NEW MACBOOK

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Peyomp, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

FUCK.

So, I've been doing CAD lately. And so I run XP in Parallels. And I can't do that AND work, on 2GB of RAM because I have to have MySQL, a test web server, Eclipse, Firefox, Stickies, IRC, Adium and Mail.app open all day just to get anything done and also Excel for specifications, Dreamweaver for UIs, iCal, Address Book, open throughout the day and god forbid I want to open Azuerus. I also have to run our app which is Java and whores memory.

So if I want to do CAD, I have to shut everything else down. This pisses me off and wastes my time.

Nevermind that my fucking computer freezes all the time anyway when it gets bogged down with all the fucking Java being run.

So I need 4GB of RAM. Which means I need a new Macbook Pro. Which means... $4100 I priced it. FUCK. FUCK.

I could sell this one, but it would fucking not get shit on eBay, its had the shit beat out of it. Plus my fucking fiance wants a mac. FUCK.

If I ever get paid for this job I did, I'll get 5 grand, so I guess I can buy a new Macbook Pro and then I can deduct it as a business expense. FUCK.

GOD DAMMIT. I NEED MORE RAM.

You know what, though? I don't want 4GB. I need 8GB. WHEN WILL THE FUCKING MACBOOK TAKE 8GB OF GOD DAMN RAM???!?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

time for a thinkpad.

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I can't function without OS X. You do not understand. Put me in Linux or Windows and my output cuts to shit. I have to run a *nix for work anyway, and Windows makes me physically ill. I never come into contact with windows except to run CAD in parallels, and then its mostly hidden from me.

4. m0nk3y

m0nk3y Not now, chief.

Try Ubuntu (Gnome) on the same machine... Should see a little better performance, and I've seen a number of people that regularly use macs easily use gnome.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

oh, I think crayola has some new kids software to walk you through computing-basics.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Suck it up, Peyomp. It doesn't matter whether you like Windows, what matters is that it's still the only viable desktop OS for a few reasons.

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Are you kidding? Of course it matters if I like Windows. I would get 1/10th as much done on Windows. It is clunky as hell, and is the wrong development environment. I might as well go buy an iBook with OS 9 on it as use Windows. But yeah, maybe I'm not smart enough. That must be it.

OS X is great, and is not the problem here... other than the fact that I can't afford the premium hardware.

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I can't. I need the OS X interface. Anything else is distracting and kill my productivity.

9. m0nk3y

m0nk3y Not now, chief.

10. wetwillie

wetwillie New Member

your issuse with windows are temporary. Once you convert, you'll very quickly be back to your old productivity levels.

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You don't think requiring a medication to waste my time navigating menus I don't need is a failure of my brain, as opposed to the OS itself? :)

12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Incorrect. I was a windows user for about 20 years. The platform is painful for me to use, because its style is against the way I work. Nevermind the fact that I can't use it, because it is the wrong environment and I don't develop for Windows.

13. wetwillie

wetwillie New Member

Can you be more specific?

Wait...aren't you a Java developer?

14. m0nk3y

m0nk3y Not now, chief.

Sounds like windows is the last of your worries when it comes to distractions (IRC, Adium, Azureus, Firefox....). Why don't you get a real PC instead of running VM anyway?

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

When you work remotely developing web apps, IRC, Adium, Firefox and Skype are not really optional ;)

16. deusexaethera

I'm pretty sure IRC and Skype are optional under all circumstances.

Stop being a whiny bitch and learn to use Windows. How do you function in the real world? I bet you're a riot at a 4-way stop sign. Who goes first? When can I go? The sign just keeps saying STOP. It's too much, it's just too much! :crying:

17. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Actually, IRC is my vendor support and Skype is how I call internationally and receive international calls. But you're pretty sure I don't need those, so I'll just close them up.

If I switched to Windows, I would only get as much done as you. Then I'd be fired. :big grin:

We don't develop for Windows. Nobody in the company uses Windows. I rely on unix tools to develop. I am most proficient with those tools. There is absolutely no benefit to switching to Windows. None. Not one. That, combined with the fact that I can't stand Windows, are pretty good reasons not to use it. Wouldn't you say?

Maybe you should actually learn more than one platform, so that you can make intelligent comments about them, in threads like these? ;)

18. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

what about a mac pro?

19. deusexaethera

See, Peyomp, I'd like to get to know OSX better, but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend a couple grand on a new computer and a new OS that I have no software for, no knowledge of, and no opinion about. This is where Apple's "we make the religious right look like a bunch of sluts" copy protection bites them in the ass -- it's almost impossible to steal OSX, yeah, but it's also almost impossible to try before I buy.

It's the crowbar principle at work: you can refuse to sell crowbars because some people will use them to break windows, or you can sell crowbars so people can use them legitimately and then arrest the burglars. Myself, I just want to break in so I can look around and see if I like OSX enough to buy it, not so I can steal it.

Apple, on the other hand, has made it clear that they don't think anybody can be trusted with a free sample. So fuck them.

20. spec09

spec09 New Member

You dont need to spend $4000. Buy a macbook pro at the lowest ram possible, and buy 2x2gb sticks off the internet. Apple overprices their 2gb sticks, i made that mistakes, will save you hundreds.

21. deusexaethera

That's the thing though. I know the hardware is fine, it's the same stuff I can buy for a PC nowadays. I want to play with the OS, for free, maybe as a virtual machine released by Apple. They can do whatever they want to keep me from making more copies; make the VM register itself with Apple every time it boots up, before I can log in, and have it expire after a month, or something like that. I want to try the OS in an environment where I can actually USE it, to see if it can do what I want it to do.

Before you say distributing a free VM is too risky, it's no more risky than what Apple already faces from hackers who override the copy protection on native copies of OSX.

22. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

23. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Right, but do you really save much? Its $700 extra for the 2 x 2GB DIMs. But then you've got 2 x 1GBs extra.

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

sell the extras. You save at least $700;

25. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)