A&P I need a new host

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Devin, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Devin

Devin New Member

Well, dreamhost was nice enough after 3 years to fuck me over big time. What else is there around that's just as good? :hsd:

2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

my domain is with 1and1
    its cool.

3. Devin

Devin New Member

Sounds kind of sketch adams?? How long have you been with them? Pricing?

4. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour OT Supporter

Some OT'ers seem to like Bluehost a lot.

5. ThexToddster

ThexToddster New Member

:werd:

6. Gerbonium

Gerbonium OT Supporter

7. DeepRun™

DeepRun™ Guest

I use DirectNIC. Never had an issue with hosting.

8. ej25power

ej25power OT Supporter

What happened with Dreamhost? I've had them for a few years. I haven't been fucked over......yet.

9. Devin

Devin New Member

I've had them for 3 years… they never sent me an email telling me my renewal was up for payment… then supposedly..someone disputed the payment on the account( I am the only person who has ever been on this account) and they can no longer do business with me they said.

I owe then 98 dollars just to get my data off of the ftp. With no warning about renewal and they have yet to give me a name for whoever disputed the payment.

I am highly fucking pissed off.

Oh, I also forgot the 4 referrals I sent to them and have yet to get my $99 for any of those.

Here is the email I got after i sent them something..

So, correct me I am wrong but, I HAVE to pay 98 dollars just to get the data that was on my FTP? This is ridiculous. I never asked to be billed by that credit card or for you (Dreamhost) to save my cc information.

I never disputed payment on the account either. This is the biggest amount of bullshit (excuse my language) I've ever encountered. I need to know who disputed the payment. The only 2 people who has ever been on this account is me (Devin) and Susan. You haven't given me any information of who disputed the account and I never even got a simple email regarding my account renewing in the near future.

Also what do I need to do to keep my website domain name? This is a lot more hassle than it should be. I will never again in fact I will stray business away from you guys. After I sent 4 people your way in the last 6 months(and never once got my referral money).

Tell me what I need to do to get my data off the FTP and I will be moving along.

Reply from DreamHost (Jul 16th, 2008 - 16:47:26 / #19331500)
    Subject: Re: BILLING
    Hello Devin,

Once an account has had a disputed payment on the account we can no
    longer keep it. You will need to take your business elsewhere. If you
    would like to get your domains transferred away, you will need to pay via
    check.

Thanks,

Kris

>

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  10. inkblot78

inkblot78 New Member

You should point out that the dispute may have been THEIR fault when their billing dept. fucked up. I'd cite their past errors and point out that you've been willing to overlook their past mistakes, and they should do the same for you.

Here's a link to their billing fiasco (their own blog):
    http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/2008/01/15/billing-issues/

Here's a link to the Consumerist report:
    http://consumerist.com/350379/dreamhost-billing-apocalypse-refuses-to-end

11. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

I have hostgator right now.. a lot of people hate on them, but I'm on a budget so I can't afford a dedicated server, and so far they've been pretty good.

one thing I didn't like is they disabled my catch-all email setup out of the blue citing "spam/abuse concerns" (I had only received like 2 emails to the catch-all when they disabled it). I entered a chat online and the CSR told me that the feature had NEVER been enabled on my account (basically calling me a liar that I had already been using it for a week). he did tell me that if I emailed a certain address they would turn it on, though, and they did in just a few hours.

that's way better than my previous host.. aplus.net. it took them 2 weeks to look at my ticket after their server fucked up and in the end.. they didn't even reply. they marked the ticket complete without giving me any notice whatsoever.. so it was more than 2 weeks before I knew they had done something. and they marked the ticket complete without responding to any of my questions or fixing the problem that their server caused. it's now been 4 days since I cancelled aplus service, and they have yet to complete the cancellation. the web site says it'll be done within 3 days.

12. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

I have used Powweb for 6 years now without a hitch. They always send me a renewal email each year so I don't forget to pay.

13. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

i host my site on a server at work :mamoru: my g/f uses 1and1 though for her sites and other than a day here an there of downtime (she also has the cheapest $3 a month or whatever package :o ) but nothing major in the year and a half or so she's used them. a buddy of mine has the company he work's for entire server farm hosted there. they've got 2 web servers, an exchange server, an offsite backup of their local file servers, and a test server with vmware (and 4+ virtual servers) on it and haven't had any down time other than a 3 hour window one night he was notified about ahead of time (and it was like 1am to 4am or something).

14. Spurious

Spurious New Member

[email protected] my language... I called a hostgator employee a fucknut just a couple days ago...

As for hosting, you have clearly defined tiers of large-scale services. The low-end being Dreamhost, Hostgator, 1and1, ipowerweb, etc. They're a little loser with their TOS so you usually share a server with unsavory types, they pack people on their servers very densely, you will have some downtime every now and then, the resource allotments are unrealistic, but honestly, they're good enough for most people and they're dirt cheap at about $5-10/m. Just don't expect true 99.9% uptime and tech support personnel without curry stains on their keyboard.

The next tier of service is places like Joyent, MediaTemple, Liquid Web, and to a lesser extent Site5. The servers are less dense, the client quality control is higher, the resource allotments are pretty realistic, they cost about $5-10 more than the low-end hosts, but if you value your site, it's worth it.

Before you get to the highest tier of service, you have managed VPSs and the like from places like Liquid Web, Media Temple, Spry, ServInt, etc. I'm sure I'm missing some, but this probably isn't for you anyway. Resource limits are generous but tightly enforceable adding both guarantees processor and memory usage ensuring another user, of which there are very few, on the same server wont slow your website down. These tend to be rock solid outside of network/hardware failures and usually have a highly knowledgeably team that will install pretty much anything you want, exactly how you want and secure it so you aren't running anything you don't need and things stay ridiculously speedy. These can cost about 4-5 times more than low-end hosting, but are very worth it if you need the security of having your site just work.

The highest tier of service is managed hosting from Media Temple, ServInt, Rackspace, Liquid Web and a bunch of other really fancy people. When you get to this level you're talking at least $300/m and capability you wont even begin to touch. Managed dedicated services are like driving a tank to get a hotdog for most people. With dedicated, it's just you and the vast nothingness of a 500GB harddrive you wont use a 500th of and it doesn't go down, and if it does go down, someone's there to fix it and then suck you off in restitution.

Outside the tiers of managed services exists the wild west of internetery, which is the unmanaged VPS/dedicated server. All you get is a shell prompt staring back at you and it's up to you to work some delicious linux magic in making it a serviceable webserver and also keeping it secure and 1337 [email protected] free. Hard work? Yes. Waste of time? Probably. Fun? Without a doubt. This is what I do, and I'm with Slicehost.

I suggest you look at Site5, Liquid Web and Joyent. Maybe Media Temple too, but when I left their mySQL was a little shaky, I think they containered it so it's probably good now.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  15. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

now thats a hell of a write up. :cool: another i.t. geek in the otap crowd i see. :h5:

16. mojito

mojito New Member

i moved from dreamhost to godaddy a couple years ago, they've been great, 99+% uptime, cheep as shit and very helpful.

17. DRAIGON

DRAIGON New Member

Devin, thats bullshit. Sorry for the problems.

18. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

I've been using topclasshost.com for quite a few years... good prices and great customer service. I've had one problem with the site(went down like 3 times in 3 days) so I just asked them to move me to a new server.... done and no more problems.