I need a new clothing style

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by mike686, Feb 27, 2007.

1. mike686

mike686 Guest

I'm 20 and still stuck with the high school style of t-shirts and semi baggy jeans. I wear cheap striped polo style shirts as well (they aren't polo brand though). I get most of my stuff from anchor blue and tilly's (skate-type clothes)

I basically want to dress more grown up and sophisticated while still looking casual. Does that make sense? If that means spending some money that's fine, but I want some clothes that will make me feel more confident about myself and with the ladies. Honestly I SUCK at picking out clothes so I need some pointers here.

What are some good places to get clothes from? Price range isn't really an issue (as long as the quality is worth the price) I'm 5'9 and 155lbs if that helps. Also some suggestions on specific shirts and jeans/pants would be good.

2. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

In for fashion subforum (I've said that before).

3. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

H&M for dress shirts. Why?

1. They're $30 or 40 each, as opposed to BR's which are like $78 each. I've gotten a couple white dress shirts there for $4.90.

2. They make "slim fit" shirts (athletic taper) so if you're thin, you can tuck it in and it still looks good (not poofy), or you can wear it untucked and it still looks good.

Seriously. 95% of my work shirts come from there. It's the only company that makes shirts that fit me. My shoulders are wider than my waist. Typical dress shirts seem to be made for fat people.

4. Nev

Nev OT Supporter

Truth. Fit is probably 95% of what makes you look good so long as you have some sort of style to work with.

You could wear:
    nice jeans that fit well, with any shirt that fits well, along with some decent shoes

...and on a day to day casual basis, you will look just fine.

5. Nev

Nev OT Supporter

Post some pics so there is something to work with. If you are not in shape, or are too skinny...start going to the gym. The clothes will fit you better.

6. Drilldo

Drilldo Active Member

Pick up a few issues of Esquire. I've read all the men's magazines and I like Esquire the best with GQ being second. Alot of their style advice is directed to more high-end readers but everything is spot-on from casual to hthe more high-class stuff. If I had to give advice the first thing is get clothes that fit. I know that sounds simplistic but it's true. Spend some time and go to a few different places and see what looks best. Got a sister? Take her with you. If not take a good female friend. Second thing, don't be afraid to indulge in trends but stay classic. A good rule of thumb is to have one trendy piece of clothing in your outfit and let the rest of it kind of act in a supporting role. Certain things never go out of style. Thirdly get at least one pair of shoes for each level of dressy-ness (if that's a word) you plan to do. Tennis shoes are cool if you're hanging out with friends or shooting pool at the bar, but when you're taking a woman out to dinner or something you want to go with something a little more sophisticated. You don't have to spend a ton of money either, don't be afraid to shop sales, online or at places like Nordstrom Rack (if you have one in your area). You'll find alot of stylish guys our age do that because no college student has enough money to dress in style. Good luck!

7. mike686

mike686 Guest

Here ya go:

[​IMG]

I'm not fat but not skinny either. My waistline is about as wide as my shoulders.

8. Drilldo

Drilldo Active Member

Like I said before, first get some clothes that fit. That alone goes a long way.

9. mike686

mike686 Guest

Yeah I think I should start going with M instead of L as far as shirts go. I do have a Nordstrom in my area, are you saying thats a good place to go?

As far as jeans go, what are a good slim-fitting brand? Nothing emo slim but not baggy looking either.

10. mike686

mike686 Guest

There's an H&M at the Beverly center which isn't too far from me, I'll have to go check it out. Thanks.

11. Drilldo

Drilldo Active Member

Jeans are totally subjective. Like I said go to the store with a hot girl (trust me) and let her help you. Don't go for the distressed look, but it's okay to have a little fade in the knees. Stay away from khakis, cargo pants and anything with a pleated front, period. I mentioned Nordstrom because I know for sure they're going to have great stuff, but they're expensive. But the thing is you can go there, look through thier stuff and get a good idea of what "nice" is if you don't know already. There's no shame in doing that then ordering online or something. I tend to be more on the conservative side of fasion though so you may be different. In the end if you like the way you look and are comfortable, that's it. Oh and stand up straight and start lifting weights.

12. mike686

mike686 Guest

I don't have any girl to go to the store with, that's kind of the point of this thread, to boost my confidence with a nice appearance and getting those hot girls.

13. Drilldo

Drilldo Active Member

Got a sister? And btw confidence doesn't come from clothes, it comes from you. Knowing you look good helps but it's not the end all answer.

14. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

I'd be in for that.

Honestly, quite recently I've been doing a lot of shopping. My favorite store as of late is Express. A lot of their stuff fits me very well, the prices are moderate, some good sales and i have their highest card (WHICH IS BAD! don't get trapped into that crap), and they have good looks.

But to each his own.

15. Nev

Nev OT Supporter

Ok, honestly...I would start your new wardrobe by going to the gym.

It will:

1) Make you feel better about yourself
    2) Give you more confidence
    3) Make you look better in the clothes you wear
    4) Females will notice you more

You can try the F&N forum here, but they can be harsh there. Be sure to read the Newbie threads before posting. You can also PM me if you dont like the way things are there, and I'd be happy to help you out, as long as you're willing to listen to advice.

16. Drilldo

Drilldo Active Member

Banana Republic is good too.

17. mike686

mike686 Guest

I was going to the gym for a few months, but slowly faded out of it after getting discouraged.

Thanks to everyone for making suggestions in this thread, I appreciate you taking the time.

18. Jacy

Jacy red lipstick brigade

the fit is very important! get rid of all your baggy clothes, and start stocking up on clothes that actually fit you.

i assume you live in the la area, since you mentioned the H&M in bev center. Check out American Apparel, Ben Sherman store, Loehmann's, The Closet, and Nordstorms for clothes

make sure to find a pair of premium denim jeans that fit you well too

19. Nev

Nev OT Supporter

If you went for a few months and got discouraged, you weren't doing something right. A few months for someone just starting out can show huge improvement.

20. fluentinsilence

fluentinsilence New Member

I am more or less in the same position you are mate. I'm a few inches taller, so the weight issue is being addressed (by eating more while conditioning). I agree with the above comments that exercising more will make sweeping improvements; not only is it healthy for you, but it'll have a subconscious effect on your attitude as well. You have to keep yourself motivated and discliplined though; most people do it for a short time and just drop it.

Instead of cheap striped polos, go for more fitting solid color ones. Instead of the baggy jeans, go for a more slim fit (but go for relaxed if you still like the room). Etc.

21. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Anything at Express is nice. Take out a credit card with them and they will send you 15% off all the time and combine it with a sale for major savings. I get stuff their cheap all the time.

22. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Yeah, those clothes do nothing for you. You just really need to try on new things that fit your frame better.

23. Xtreme2k2

Xtreme2k2 GTI Crew ಠ_ಠ OT Supporter

I need to get some new stuff too, but I also need to lose some weight :hsr:

24. VashTheStampede

VashTheStampede New Member

Get a few nice button up shirts, some jeans and some decent shoes. Here's what I wear almost every day.

[​IMG]

25. Nev

Nev OT Supporter

:io: